Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting a yellow lab pup and wanted to get some feed back.

I live in Eugene and would like to find a local breeder or with-in an hour drive. I was thinking of getting one from Mark Detering out of Coburg, but have heard a few things about hip problems, which as I understand is a concern.

I don't want to break the bank. I would like a quality dog within in reason, which I know is subjective, but I am looking at $500.00 or less.

Feed back is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Is this a hunting dog, family dog, or both?

-jokester

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Try Hawiian Time he is a breeder, nice looking dogs!

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
What is a "white" lab?
A white lab is a really pale yellow lab. It should still have dark skin, dark eyes. If it's skin is pink then it truely has no pigment, pink eyerims, all pink nose, and it is called "dudley". This is generally considered undesirable, because they can have sun exposure issues. The opposite end of the spectrum is "Fox Red" which is generally considered highly desirable.

My girl isn't white, but she is on the lighter side of the spectrum, I have heard folks refer to her as "buttermilk"

To me, it's all personal preference. Fox Red or chocolate is probably the best camo.

Given unlimited choices, I would have gone fox red, but Lucy met all my other requirements so she's my dog. I have really warmed up to her look, but it has become apparent to me that most really light colored yeller labs are pets. I see them everywhere. If I talk to the owners (and I usually do, especially if I am with Lucy) then I always ask, does that dog hunt? I have yet to meet one that does.:shrug:

I would PM Hawaiian Time, he is well plugged into the hunt test set, and breeds dogs. If he doesn't have a litter for you, I bet he can turn you on to one. They might be more than you want to spend on a dog that won't be used for hunting or hunt tests. If you are only looking for a pet, please consider rescue. Cap'n Dan on iFish runs a lab rescue operation.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I love my yellow/ white we got from Mark. He is 4 in March and has had zero issues. Great dogs. The seller is a little odd but he has great dogs I have several friends that bougjt from him as well.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You might check with Elk Creek Gun Dogs in Elkton. Our lab is from him, as well as my sister in laws lab. I also have a couple other friends with labs from there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have 2 labs bought from Mark also a 10yr male and 7yr female both excellent dogs all the way around and never had any health or joint issues with either one. Great disposition and easily trained. I would easily purchase another pup from Mark.:applause:

·
Banned
4,377 Posts
Susie Morrell, has british labs that's were we got ours from I don't have her number but she is off territoial I think it's midnight sky kennels best dam dog I ever owned.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Rocking M Labs in Eatonville Wa has a couple of litters, one field, one show. I've sourced them quite successfully for a few folks. They are what I consider in the game. They have a website with pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.