IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
3,419 Posts
If you have any carpentry skills, my advice is to save thousands and build it yourself. Materials are expensive but in the end it would be way, way less than spending $10,000.00.

See my barn build post:

The barn was bigger and more complicated to build than a shed; a shed would be relatively easy. We got estimates to have a barn built and had we gone that route it would have cost over $40K. We built it ourselves for a fraction of that. Plus, building it ourselves we were able to include custom features that contractors would not have done.

· Registered
67 Posts
Shur way building centers had shed kits that were a lower price and good quality when I was shopping if you don't mind building yourself. They have a N Portland store to avoid sales tax. It seems like it I recall they can recommended builders if you don't want to build it.

· Registered
1,218 Posts
BDjr,

You seem pretty handy. Why not build it yourself for a lot less than $10k? For 10 x 20, check on permitting requirements. In most locations there is a size threshold that initiates needing a building permit. I built a small (less than permit size) shed, so I even made my own roof trusses. With a city or county permit, engineered trusses are needed, and possibly footing and or foundation requirements.

· Registered
7,149 Posts
In OR 200sf is usually the max size before a building permit is needed unless you live in a place that is special. Setbacks are a different subject however. ;)

· Registered
7,296 Posts
I’m from the build it your self camp.
I scoured around for my lumber in an effort to save a few bucks and ended up building this shed for about 2/3 of the cost of a prefab unit.
Just make it easy on your self and keep the shed dimensions with in basic framing configurations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, lings, anything goes
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A friend contacted the shop teacher at his local high school. The teacher helped draw up the plans. Students put all the walls, floor, doors, and roof structure together at the school and loaded it on a trailer. My friend had a slab poured to place it on. the day of delivery came and the shed was up, looking great, and painted in half a day. I don't know the final cost but my friend feels he saved a bundle by going this route. Just a thought.
I did this same project when I was in school. I'm confident I could build one on my own still but don't exactly have the time these days :( it's a great idea, I just can't imagine it's easy or likely to have them build you one. I may try though.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’m from the build it your self camp.
I scoured around for my lumber in an effort to save a few bucks and ended up building this shed for about 2/3 of the cost of a prefab unit.
Just make it easy on your self and keep the shed dimensions with in basic framing configurations.

As someone who's gone for 12-13hrs every weekday, building my own just isn't in the cards I'm afraid. As much as I'd enjoy the project.

· Registered
7,296 Posts
As someone who's gone for 12-13hrs every weekday, building my own just isn't in the cards I'm afraid. As much as I'd enjoy the project.
I get the time issue. Never enough hours in the week.
Best advice I got is get a half dozen of your Amish fishing buddies to come over to help out and you can knock it out in a weekend.

· Registered
108 Posts
I've had my 10x20 Old Hickory shed for almost 2 years now. I'm pretty happy with it. I bought it through Wood Castle furniture off Hwy 34 outside of Corvallis.

It's a Lofted Barn style with a double door in the center of one side and windows that slide up on either side of the door. No other windows. Both ends have the lofted area inside. The shed was ~$6300, delivery included. The delivery guy centered it exactly as I wanted it on the pad that I had poured for it. It has a locking T-handle in the door.

I had originally purchased a 10x20 Tuff Shed, Lofted Barn style, from Home Depot but the Tuff Shed people refused to deliver it. (I wanted the shed rotated 90 degrees from the orientation the shed would be in if they brought it straight into my backyard from the street.) The sales manager for the area said it would be no problem to get it delivered but the delivery coordinator refused, saying that they wouldn't position in my back yard in the orientation that I wanted it. What a fiasco!

I got a full refund, eventually. I say eventually because the original refund didn't include the extra delivery charge due to me being outside their "standard" delivery distance. Luckily, someone at Home Depot noticed the discrepancy and I got that fee back, as well. I drove 40+ miles three times by the time I was done with them.

I built a smaller barn style shed myself about 20 years ago. Not in the mood to do that again, even though it's way cheaper. Or at least it was before the stupid price hike for building materials.

Good luck with your decision.

-Knarf

· Registered
278 Posts
If you wanted, I’d consider building it. i’ve been in construction building schools, forest service buildings, remodels, new construction. Lots of wood framing.
If you may consider it I could look into building it?

· Registered
9,405 Posts
getting one built to exactly what you want is also going to be cheaper. as
lumber prices have come down from $1600 a board foot to 400 or so. most of the shed places have too much money in their inventory. may not want to adjust prices until awhile.

ive done a bunch of sheds both ways. and getting it built is best. but not as quick.

i found putting them up on a block so air gets under and keeps them from rotting. forget what they tell you about their treated wood no ood should be on the ground. and metal rusts out.. can easily build a small ramp if needed to wheel things in.

· Registered
11 Posts
Looking to possibly add a 10x20 utility shed to one side of the house. I see lots of options from Tuff Shed on to a few more local outfits. Would love to hear if anyone has recommendations or warnings about anything before I shell out ten grand.

Something along these lines:
View attachment 990740
I’ve got a Tuff Shed and couldn’t be happier. It’s well built, the configuration tool and purchase process on Tuff Shed’s website was good and the delivery and set up process was quick. I’m thinking about purchasing another one for some additional storage.

· Registered
3,727 Posts
If you do have it built by someone, make sure they have some experience. Dont just have kids build it. Otherwise you will end up with something like we neighborhood kids built from left over lumber and nails scrounged from residential construction sites...

Plant People in nature Table Tree Grass

Plant Tree Wood Tints and shades Landscape

Tree Plant Snapshot Vintage clothing Monochrome photography

I've since built an 8x8 shed and a 2 story 8x12 playhouse/shed as an adult and both turned out quite well and with not as much expense as buying a pre-made one.

· Registered
44,019 Posts
Another DIY guy, saved a ton of money and it was done in around 4 days. The only help I needed was putting up the trusses (if you want to call them that) and the siding. I used Hardi and cedar shakes.
To make the trusses, I laid out a simple jig on the deck, reinforced with gussets made from scrap plywood. Got a couple of windows off the shelf at Home Depot.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Another DIY guy, saved a ton of money and it was done in around 4 days. The only help I needed was putting up the trusses (if you want to call them that) and the siding. I used Hardi and cedar shakes.
To make the trusses, I laid out a simple jig on the deck, reinforced with gussets made from scrap plywood. Got a couple of windows off the shelf at Home Depot.
DIY is for people who aren't gone for 10-12hrs a day :(

I do have plans for one, but see zero chance of doing it myself. I've had a few offers for help on here but I think the commute to me would be unreasonable. Also talked to a contractor friend who's between projects who might be able to help but that's probably a pipedream.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts