IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, lings, anything goes
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to possibly add a 10x20 utility shed to one side of the house. I see lots of options from Tuff Shed on to a few more local outfits. Would love to hear if anyone has recommendations or warnings about anything before I shell out ten grand.

Something along these lines:
Cloud Fixture Sky Wood Composite material

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dad has a hickory shed. Had it 4 or 5 years and really likes it. The dealer was at the intersection of 213 and beavercreek rd in Oregon City. SW side right next to the used RV outfit.
I know the spot! I should pay them a visit. Really liking the looks of the Hickory sheds. Plus they can help with the leveling as part of the purchase, which I like.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We bought one through Costco a couple of years ago. They had a demo unit in the store and a salesperson to learn about the different options. It took the installer 1 day to build it in our backyard, and its been great.
I never think about Costco, but definitely worth adding to the shopping list

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a 10x12 tough shed 2nd hand. Moved it myself and made a mistake when unloading it. Tipped it on it's side. WHOOPS. Tipped it back up-right, zero damage. It's been great.

View attachment 990744
Yeah I thought about doing 2nd hand, but I have no means of transporting it myself. I have the truck, but none of the other required tools to do the job.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like my 10x20 old hickory lofted barn style.
lots of storage up top for items not needed that often.
I think it is the best for the money out of all i looked at.
My wife and I are kind of zeroing in on that exact same model. That just seems like a whole lot of shed for the money.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A friend contacted the shop teacher at his local high school. The teacher helped draw up the plans. Students put all the walls, floor, doors, and roof structure together at the school and loaded it on a trailer. My friend had a slab poured to place it on. the day of delivery came and the shed was up, looking great, and painted in half a day. I don't know the final cost but my friend feels he saved a bundle by going this route. Just a thought.
I did this same project when I was in school. I'm confident I could build one on my own still but don't exactly have the time these days :( it's a great idea, I just can't imagine it's easy or likely to have them build you one. I may try though.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’m from the build it your self camp.
I scoured around for my lumber in an effort to save a few bucks and ended up building this shed for about 2/3 of the cost of a prefab unit.
Just make it easy on your self and keep the shed dimensions with in basic framing configurations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As someone who's gone for 12-13hrs every weekday, building my own just isn't in the cards I'm afraid. As much as I'd enjoy the project.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Another DIY guy, saved a ton of money and it was done in around 4 days. The only help I needed was putting up the trusses (if you want to call them that) and the siding. I used Hardi and cedar shakes.
To make the trusses, I laid out a simple jig on the deck, reinforced with gussets made from scrap plywood. Got a couple of windows off the shelf at Home Depot.
DIY is for people who aren't gone for 10-12hrs a day :(

I do have plans for one, but see zero chance of doing it myself. I've had a few offers for help on here but I think the commute to me would be unreasonable. Also talked to a contractor friend who's between projects who might be able to help but that's probably a pipedream.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Bobber, you have already had an offer from Fishon. I know it's easy for me to say this now that I am in Texas, but I would bet that if you planned for pizzas, a vat of chili and several Yetis full of adult and soft beverages on a Saturday with some games on the radio, you could have an Amish/Ifish barn raising. Honestly, if I were still somewhere in the Northwest I would sure come and join in on an event like this. In fact, I would not miss a chance to rub shoulders and banter with fellow iFishers while accomplishing something positive for one of our gang.
As long as you had your site prepped, good plans and your list of materials on hand, I bet you would be just plumb tickled with the result, and everyone would go home tired but with smiles on their faces.
We Pm'd a bit. He's in Albany which I think puts it a bit out of reach.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts