IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a kicker for my FishRite driftboat and am uncertain whether I should be looking for a long or extra long shaft motor. The boat has the standard motor cut-away - does this suggest a LS would be just fine? If not, are the extra LS's hard to find? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks and tight lines.
-Chris

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Measure from the top of the transom (where the motor clamps on) to the bottom of the boat. This distance for a LS is 20" and extra LS is 25" :smile:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I thought that the purpose of the cutout was that you could use a short shaft.By the way I have a 9.8 motor listed in the want ad section, can be used as a long or a short shaft.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
longshaft...but before I would buy anything I would call fishrite, it`s there boat they ought to know for sure,thats what I did with a willy I use to own, glad I made that call before that I almost had bought a extra long shaft...thay said they were made to go with a longshaft. maybe fishrite is different but make a phone call,you`ll be glad you did.

[ 04-28-2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks. I took Dampainters advice and called Fish Rite - they steered me in the right direction.
Chris

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm curious, I have an 18' fish-rite and an Ls kicker, but the rocker bottom is so severe I cannot get the prop in the water without 250 lbs. of lead in the back of the boat. I took the cut-out plate off. but then you have an extremely limited turning radius..........I hope you don't have the same problem, but may I ask what fish-rite said? feel free to e-mail if it's a secret :grin:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uncle Roman
The folks at FishRite said they make boats with several configs. The advice they gave is to measure from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the cut out (I have a 3" cut out). If it's 15" you should use a short shaft; it it's 20"-22" look for a long shaft (mine was 22"). I hope I don't have the same problem you have but I don't know why it would be any different. I'd rather not deal with adding weight to the back of the boat. Perhaps I should be looking for an extra long shaft to avoid this problem?
Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts