IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay you avid sled freeks. I had a conversation with another i-fisher last night regarding long or short shaft kicker motors on sleds. Pros and cons please. Information you need is I fish the clack, columbia, willamette with this sled. :cheers:

sorry I did not clarify "kicker motor" when I first posted this thread.

[ 07-08-2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: CATCH AND EAT ]

·
Registered
8,733 Posts
I don't have an outboard jet on my boat, but you should just buy the one that is the right length for the height of the stern on your boat. I expect that you save a slight amount of weight going with a short shaft, but it probably isn't noticable.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Get one that is the correct lenght. IF it is to short it will cavitate and wont push the boat. If the length is to long then you take a chance of hitting the bottom. When I got my honda kicker I had to go to the extra long shaft (sailboat model) to get the correct length. They were selling a short , long and the extra long.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a bit of additional information here. It is a kicker motor that I am looking for here. The sled is a flat bottom.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Depends solely on the distance from the top of the transom to the bottom of the hull. Use a tape measure!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Here is what I learned. My old Johnson kicker had a 21" shaft length. Under trolling speeds and up to half throttle it worked fine any thing over that it would cavitate. I tried moving it back on the transom, titling at a different angel. Nothing worked. I ended up with a kicker with a 24"shaft and it works great. 3" made all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
My prop is pretty chewed up right now, I'm hitting a couple of times each trip now.
There is a doo dad for about $15.00 or so called a reverse thruster cup or something that reduces the amount of exhaust gas fed through the prop in reverse for better thrust, but it's for reverse.
An electric is an option, I have a 24 vdc 74 lb thrust Minnkota (with some custom modifications), but as a trolling motor electrics seem to lack torque in wind and tough steering situations. But it does good for a 21' with 7' wide bottom sled. And they are pretty stealthy in these low water conditions. :wink:
So, 3 motors fit the bill. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
I have always viewed the prop as a wear part. I vote for long shaft. You get better thrust, better steering, at the cost of a 50 dollar prop job every year.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Well I am not much help here, I had the transom height made for a long shaft kicker first. This is very very important for shallow water operation(sidedrifting). The kicker was estimated to be placed 1/4 the way in from the side, the 200 merc was then mounted about 3 inches high in the center so it does not rest on the transom but relies on the through-bolts. ( I could have gotten a sailboat length kicker and had full transom height but I already had a 8 and 15 hp LS kicker).
A long shaft is easily adapted for a drift boat kicker if needed, but is too long for a typical cartopper/johnboat.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was pretty much what I was trying to get at Glen. On my 18' alumiweld flat bottom I have a long shaft right now. In talking with the I-fisher he suggested that a short shaft may be better if you are into boondoggin or side drifting. You kind of loose reverse but you don't polevault your boat in the shallows either.

I am going to be due for another motor most likely next year. the old 8 horse is pretty tired these days and has some problems. Just trying to think ahead. Appreciate the imput.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Nice one Oto.
I knew that was going to happen!!! :laugh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts