IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question for all of you out there. Have any of you read this paper or subscribed on line? If so, is it informative? Interesting? Worth the $16.95/year?

I just found there web site by accident and was just curious.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I take the paper you are talking about. It is interesting reading but usually late in it's news. I'm always looking for tips on fishing that might help in catching fish but so far there hasn't been anything new in the paper. I get the impression the news articles are promoting some lure manufacture and not necesarly producing as described. I'll probably let my subscription expire and not renew it. This is just my opinion and you might see it different and maybe the future editions that I haven't received yet will produce something interesting.

I check in to thier web site and it is way out of date and not up to the latest fishing news. It has been a big disapointment so far.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I agree with Okie. I find Salmon, Trout, Steelheader more interesting and higher quality for about $10 more. SST doesn't have clued in reports so to speak but you will learn much about techniques. If you want good tips, drive along the rivers and look for the cars parked. When the cars are parked, the fish are in.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I already receive STS and really enjoy the stories. That's really all I was looking for. I think I'll save the $17.00 and apply it to my next subscription of STS.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Chris, if you want print info, check out Ifish sponsor - The Guides Forecast, link here at top of this page, (and here too): http://www.theguidesforecast.com/

By noted guide Bob Reese, about 5000 words delivered each week on Thur/Fri.

I've been very happy with it.

Plus as a subscriber, you can search all the archives to see what was happening at a particular time in years past.

Check it out...

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
In defense of LFN, Rick Martin is a very good and honest man. He will not print some bogus fishing report just to sell his rag.

As far as current info, it is a monthly pub and it is impossible to be current on some reports when you might be hitting the stands 30 days after the fact.

At least when I have done joint articles with him, he has emailed me a proof to look over for accuracy. The other bi-weekly rag that I did articles with a few years back had me talking about fishing a jetty here in Depoe Bay and the map showed catching bass & lingcod inside the bay itself. :shocked: :hoboy:

By the way, the other rag refused to send me a proof even after numerous screw-ups.

If you want a current report on something, look here on ifish. If you want a hard copy to read through while you are watching the tube, his is not a bad pub and I have heard quite a few compliments on it.

Here's an article he did about rockfishing that I have previously posted on ifish that is imfomative and accurate and he didn't fuss about me posting it on ifish a couple months ago.

Dan

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021001

·
Registered
668 Posts
First I have to say I might be a little bias.I write the Central Oregon fishing reports for LFN.I have to first disagree about the fishing news being out of date. Rick Martin updates his website several times a week.I don't know another local fishing site that does.
As far as my reports, I fish central Oregon lakes between late September through June.I am a weekend warrior,which means I fish all day Saturday and Sunday morning like most anglers do.I am not a guide,just a trout fisherman sharing some tips and photo's of my catch.The brand of lures I use to catch my fish is what I put in my reports.I am not trying to sell anything,but to share some of my techniques and different lures that people can try for trout.When I come home from a fishing trip I send a report to Rick Martin and he will post it that night or the next day.I have to agree that this message board is a great place to find up to date fishing news.I have used this site to get information before and had great responses to my questions.I think that $17 is well worth a year subscription to Local Fisherman News.

Jimmy

[ 07-03-2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Premium Member
22,191 Posts
Rick does a good job and is pretty timely in his reports...

·
Administrator
119,648 Posts
I, too have nothing but good things to say about Rick and his wife. They are always at events that help our fisheries to take pictures, and report the story. They work hard to get information out to the anglers... and they do it all! Both on the web, and in print. That takes tons of work!
We won a free subscription at a Tackle Swap and enjoyed it so much!
In fact, we miss it, and I may very well resubscribe. I've been meaning to for a long time.
They are a very dedicated team who deserve our support.

Jen

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I agree. The Local Fishermans News is cool!

They like to print kid pictures and they put my 6 year old sons first steelhead in print. What a surprise to be reading the magazine and turn the page and find that. My son was the most impressed though. With himself of course. :rolleyes:

Grant

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
One thing for sure my comments brought out the big guns. Jennie and Bill Monroe your comments are both good but one thing is missing. You neither one indicated that you were putting your money out to subscibe to the paper. I have no doubt you are all good people but I have to put my hard earned money out and I somethimes like to feel like I'm getting something for my money that's usefull.

Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

·
Administrator
119,648 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]:
In fact, we miss it, and I may very well resubscribe. I've been meaning to for a long time.
Jen
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
And yes Jennie, Rick's wife is a "keeper" too!

They are a team and a good one that I feel is beneficial to the sport.

Nice people!

:cheers:

:dance:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, what to do...I really appreciate every one's input and it's obvious that there are varied opinions as there is with most subjects. I made a mistake by taking one side with out reading the paper for my self or waiting for more opinions and will work on not doing that :rolleyes: . Now I'm even more curious and will probably subscribe just to to see what it's all about.

Thanks
Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts