161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
13,773 Posts
I miss the popcorn smiley guy.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I repeat again, that the lead from various sources and uses, even enviromental lead found naruraly, is so easy to positively identify as to it's origin.

There is a a undeniable specific chemical fingerprint that each type of lead has

Over and over when condors, bald eagles, golden eagles are brought in for chelation therapy to vet clinics,,,near always during or right after hunting season to remove the lead, the source of lead is examined and overwhelimingly it's origin is identifird as coming from bullets.

Any examination of this leaves no doubt.

This has nothing at all to due with "point of view". This isssue is not about beliefs or opinions. It is about data basesd conclusions after thousand of chelaton treatmets and autopsies of dead animals.

There qre other factors that kill anamals liike condors, but the greatest one come from lead in bullets leaving hundreds of tiny , amd easily digested behind.

Then when an animals dies from lead poisoning, it gets gets eaten and the poisoning continues downnthe food chain.
It's not the digestion that's killing them, as mammals can consume lead fragments and pass them through their system in short order and offers virtually zero threat to health. It is the birds' crop where they pick it up and grind it into easily absorbed paste for weeks on end that is the issue with birds. If it went straight through their digestive system like with mammals, it would spend less time in their system than it would in yours.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
For reference listen to Jim Heffelfinger in the Meateater podcast #256.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's not the digestion that's killing them, as mammals can consume lead fragments and pass them through their system in short order and offers virtually zero that to health. It is the birds' crop where they pick it up and grind it into easily absorbed paste for weeks on end that is the issue with birds. If it went straight through their digestive system like with mammals, it would spend less time in their system than it would in yours.

Below are many references from vets about dogs and cats getting lead poisoning,,,same thing can happen to any mammal, foxes, bobcats or us.

Cats even get if from being in an old house with lead paint dust collecting on the floor, then they lick their feet and ingest the dust, which poisons them.

Lead tastes sweet so dogs have gotten poisined from eating bird shot.

Again, where the lead poisining came from can be easily verfied via chemical footprints.

What amazes me is that you would make a statement without doing any further research, which is so easy.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Below are many references from vets about dogs and cats getting lead poisoning,,,same thing can happen to any mammal, foxes, bobcats or us.

Cats even get if from being in an old house with lead paint dust collecting on the floor, then they lick their feet and ingest the dust, which poisons them.

Again, where the lead poisining came from can be easily verfied via chemical footprints.

What amazes me is that you would make a statement without doing any further research, which is so easy.

Oh you mean right there where it says it's "extremely rare"? 65 out of 181,000 animal poisoning cases are lead, and mostly from water. Crazy, that's like a .00036% chance.
Also, let's stay on topic, lead core bullets is the issue at hand, not environmental lead. We should definitely ban lead bullets though.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts

From your link. Sounds like it's super common..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I am now more dum from having scrolled through this thread...
I will continue to use the bullets I want whether some half witt window licker bans them or not.
and fuq those commy California condors.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Oh you mean right there where it says it's "extremely rare"? 65 out of 181,000 animal poisoning cases are lead, and mostly from water. Crazy, that's like a .00036% chance.
Also, let's stay on topic, lead core bullets is the issue at hand, not environmental lead. We should definitely ban lead bullets though.

Lets begin with rhe fact that you said mammals could not get lead poisining. Your statement was wrong.

Next It is extremely rare NOW with dogs and cats after public awareness and a many decades long campagin to eliminate lead. That is why it is rare NOW.

Next, what is not rare NOW are millions of birds and mammals getting lead poisoned from many many millions of gutpiles and carcasses left afield.

The problem you example is an inability to deal with and separate critical variables.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Lets begin with rhe fact that you said mammals could not get lead poisining. Your statement was wrong.

Next It is extremely rare NOW with dogs and cats after public awareness and a many decades long campagin to eliminate lead. That is why it is rare NOW.

Next, what is not rare NOW are millions of birds and mammals getting lead poisoned from many many millions of gutpiles and carcasses left afield.

The problem you example is an inability to deal with and separate critical variables.
I said virtually zero actually. Virtually zero to me is roughly .00036% of a chance. If all you ate was lead splattered meat and you had gut issues like diverticulitis where a slowing of "the process" happened there is a possibility. However in normally healthy people, it's through the system in 24 or less and also, almost forgot, your intestines can't break lead down, at least not the type in bullets, which again, is the issue at hand.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts

So many millions that the feds don't even list it as a cause of death in their studies..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: lingslayer

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
So many millions that the feds don't even list it as a cause of death in their studies..
Despite the fact that they specifically calculate poisonings from pesticides.
Yet poisoning by lead ingestion doesn't even warrant mentioning.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Would it be against the rules to suggest we ban cats? Or at least reduce the population by 80%?

·
Registered
13,773 Posts
So, if lead is the issue....can we bring back DDT?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Would it be against the rules to suggest we ban cats? Or at least reduce the population by 80%?
Here’s an idea.....we work on all the problems brought up in this thread. I don’t know how to find the Loper lightbulb emoji but I would use one if I could.

The cat issue has been hammered pretty good by Audubon and other non profits, and it should be. I do not know anything about cats and lead poisoning, but outdoor cats are songbird killing machines.

It’s important to note the study was funded by DUCFW “Dogs United for a cat free world”

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Here’s an idea.....we work on all the problems brought up in this thread. I don’t know how to find the Loper lightbulb emoji but I would use one if I could.

The cat issue has been hammered pretty good by Audubon and other non profits, and it should be. I do not know anything about cats and lead poisoning, but outdoor cats are songbird killing machines.

It’s important to note the study was funded by DUCFW “Dogs United for a cat free world”
I'm doing my part by shooting every feral cat I can, been doing it since I was a kid...

Reactions: Hydrophilic

·
Registered
16,338 Posts
Again, everybody has been dimming or turning off their outdoor lighting? I'm not much into virtue signaling, again hunters lead caused mortalities=.017 of total bird mortalities. People have raised our awareness to the issue, but if you want to vilify us, we might point back the hypocrisy of what your life style kills in birds also. Right now is not a great time to try to switch to copper.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I'm doing my part by shooting every feral cat I can, been doing it since I was a kid...
How do you cook ‘em? I always figured a little butter and capers wrapped tight in aluminum foil, baked at 350 for about an hour.

Fall off the bone tender I bet.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
How do you cook ‘em? I always figured a little butter and capers wrapped tight in aluminum foil, baked at 350 for about an hour.

Fall off the bone tender I bet.
Any Chinese food recipe seems to work well..

161 - 180 of 209 Posts