IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having made a vow to give up meat (and swearing :rolleyes: ) for Lent, I have kept my eye open for new meatless recipes, and ran across this one for lentil soup. Made it last night and it was incredibly satisfying. I don't know why I so seldom cook with lentils as they really are delicious little critters.

The Best Lentil Soup - Kristine's Kitchen

· Registered
4,637 Posts
Having made a vow to give up meat (and swearing :rolleyes: ) for Lent, I have kept my eye open for new meatless recipes, and ran across this one for lentil soup. Made it last night and it was incredibly satisfying. I don't know why I so seldom cook with lentils as they really are delicious little critters.

The Best Lentil Soup - Kristine's Kitchen
C’mon, no ham hock!

· Registered
627 Posts
I love lentils. They hold up well stewed with spices and yes… a ham hock or other flavorful chunk of beast redolent with collagen like a venison or lamb neck or shank. Oxtail too… tip: get to know your local field slaughter truck, oxtail, hearts, and tongue often can be had for the asking. One of favorite Indian dishes is dal, stewed lentils.

Even better most lentils you will find (excluding black and small green French lentils) are local. The Palouse, specifically Whitman county and parts of Idaho near Moscow grows nearly all the lentils in the US. Canada grows the most in world. Lentil vines grow some nice whitetail and I always ask the farmers who grew lentils on rotation that year, and knock on their door. A harvested lentil field with a wet ditch and my trusty shorthair (passed last August) filled many limits of roosters.

Good eats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.