·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today a gentleman on the dock told me it was illegal to fish with live bait
in Oregon. I told him I would research it and find out and post the answer
here. So here is the answer from page 7 of the regs

Gear and Bait Restrictions:
Use of Fish for Bait It is unlawful to transport live fish between bodies of water.
Live fish may not be used or held for use as bait, except live nongame fish may be used in the
ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the waterbody in which they will be used.
Dead fish, preserved fish, or parts of fish, shellfish and fish eggs may be used as bait.
Goldfish may not be used as bait or in angler’s possession while angling.
It is unlawful to use lamprey as bait in any recreational fishery.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts

Use of Fish for Bait It is unlawful to transport live fish between bodies of water.
Live fish may not be used or held for use as bait, except live nongame fish may be used in the
ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the waterbody in which they will be used.
Dead fish, preserved fish, or parts of fish, shellfish and fish eggs may be used as bait.

Yep - heard that many times "live bait is illegal in Oregon". When I have asked "where did you get that information" the response was always "well, that's what I heard". Read the regs... They change all the time.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Well I guess that clears it up. And I didn't even know it was foggy.:shrug:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Notice that the regs state that non game live bait can be used if used in the same body of water it was taken from.
ie. using anchovies caught in the ocean to fish in the ocean. That is legal

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
Triple C .. was this not addressed when they changed the rules for tuna fishing offshore?

Chum, multiple lines per angler and so on?

Maybe Chum King knows.

I have often said it should be illegal and it probably is in Utah. Too much fun.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Notice that the regs state that non game live bait can be used if used in the same body of water it was taken from.
ie. using anchovies caught in the ocean to fish in the ocean. That is legal
I see a possible issue here.
Hope I'm not cited for an oversight on my part.
I was checked by the Fish counter and told her what, where and how many I got.
I also told her what I had them for. She seemed confused but didn't say anything about not being able to do it.
So I'm hoping I didn't do anything wrong.:confused:

:lurk:

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
You gotta look at the intent of the "body of water" thing. It is ALL about preventing the transplantation of a non-native species into new water, such as the tui chub into Diamond lake.

Using live anchovy, herring, or sardine for bait in the ocean is legal, even if that bait was caught in Yaquina Bay because that bay is (duh) connected to the Pacific Ocean. Those baitfish have a life-cycle such that they swim back & forth from the ocean to the bays.

When the commercial netters are taking tons of herring from the bay every February, what do you think they are doing with them......arresting them for trespassing into an unconnected body of water?

Just don't pollute a body of water with a live fish that has no biological reason for being there (would never occure there "in nature").

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
Hey Mark .. of course it makes sense. But that did not stop the freshwater fishing rules from being applied to ocean fishing. That is until the rules that restricted TUNA! fishing were changed.

And by the letter of the reg. it looks like it is not OK. Maybe that needs to get fixed too so it is clear.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts

Live fish may not be used or held for use as bait, except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the waterbody in which they will be used.
That makes it clear to me that you can use it if it comes from the ocean in the ocean... as long as it is classified as a nongame fish.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clear to me as well. I also knew my Salty Brothers would not be about breaking the law. So for that gentleman on the dock please stand corrected. Roger

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You gotta look at the intent of the "body of water" thing. It is ALL about preventing the transplantation of a non-native species into new water, such as the tui chub into Diamond lake.

Using live anchovy, herring, or sardine for bait in the ocean is legal, even if that bait was caught in Yaquina Bay because that bay is (duh) connected to the Pacific Ocean. Those baitfish have a life-cycle such that they swim back & forth from the ocean to the bays.

When the commercial netters are taking tons of herring from the bay every February, what do you think they are doing with them......arresting them for trespassing into an unconnected body of water?

Just don't pollute a body of water with a live fish that has no biological reason for being there (would never occure there "in nature").

that was the same thing I was thinking.
But, many times I see rules applied not in the way they were intended.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts