IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do most of you use for live bait Fishing? 2/0 hook?

I think its time to try something other than the Troll..

· Registered
4,642 Posts
What do most of you use for live bait Fishing? 2/0 hook?

I think its time to try something other than the Troll..
We use #2 (not 2/0) Owner ringed flyliner hooks and 25# mono. This is generally due to the small size of the bait, but last weekend the chovies we very large.

· Registered
516 Posts
Depends on the bait- usually a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook will do the job. Albies generally aren't line shy- I've been bit on 50# before- but if you go to a lighter line size, or with fluorocarbon, the bluefin that often run with the albies are much more likely to tag the bait.

· Registered
702 Posts
15-40 # line, and hooks in sizes 6, 4, 2, 2/0, and 4/0. Hook and line size depends on the size and quality of the bait, the temperment of the school of fish at the time and the fishing conditions. I've found that you can get away with using heavy trolling gear (60-80# class) during a wide open nite bite.

· Registered
355 Posts
As was mentioned, it always depends on the size of the bait. You don't use a 4/0 on a 4 inch pinhead chovy, and you don't use a #4 on an 8 inch sardine.
Listen to Mark. It's forged #6s for pinheads & 2/0 & up for big deens. 15-50 for the mono or fluoro leaders. Generally you go 20-25 mono & a #2 or #1 bait hook. Don't forget the big splitshot & rubber core sinkers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.