IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to Eric Schindler(ODFW) about Live bait in OR, and the specifications of its law's.

Here is an exerpt of the legalities of Livebait in OR.

Live bait is not illegal in certain
situations in Oregon. The general rules can be found on page 12 in the
sport fishing regulation pamphlet. The two main rules are first that it is unlawful to transport live fish between bodies of water, and second that live non-game fish may only be used in the ocean, bays, and tidewaters. I would interpret this to mean that if one were to sell live bait in Newport, boats could only load up at Newport and fish the ocean or Yaquina Bay i.e. a boat could not load up with bait and trailer up to Depoe Bay.

Now has anyone thought about livebait for Salmon in tidewater.. :idea: :yay:

· Banned
8,835 Posts
Going to Depoe would be okay since it's the same body of water - the ocean. What they're talking about is catching bait in the Willamette for example and using it at Crane Prairie.

Skein

· Banned
8,835 Posts
Good idea. Isn't it great to have someone like Eric who is not only in the know, but part of the 'Dogs. The support we get from the ocean side of ODFW is nothing short of awesome!

Thanks! :cheers:

PS. You're gonna make this live-bait thing happen, aren't you. :applause:

Skein

· Registered
5,354 Posts
Knowing that live bait fishing is legal is good. Telling everyone else? Takes the advantage away?
This is just not the way things are done by the Salty Dogs.
This is not zipperlip central.
This is not our rock in our creek.
We share, we mentor, and we leave no dog behind.

· Registered
723 Posts
OK Thanks, didn't know. Don't they fish for salmon with live bait in California? That could be a wealth of information on techniques, what works.

The hooks I've seen that seem to be best are the nose clips with a single trailing treble hook, which I believe is legal in Oregon? Anyone know? They sell them at Cabela's. Or maybe tuna live bait setups would work. What should we use?

Hey, your motto can now be:

Live to fish
Fish to Live
Live to fish with live fish!

· Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im thinking a simple livebait book, thinner diameter, rather than thicker.

I emailed Gamakatsu about my suggestion re: improving the diameter-thickeness on their octopus ringed hooks, in #4. I got a response saying that they offer a nautilus series hook, which is like the livebait series, but ringed and thinner. Gami rep is gonna send me some to try out..

Anyways.. A slow trolled anchovy or herring in tidewater, with an electric engine.. Hmmm thats gotta work..

· Registered
723 Posts
Zodiac - Is trolling the way to use live bait? I heard that you sat still and drifted and let the bait swim wherever it wanted to? And if you use pure oxygen added in your livewell that it made the bait more lively? But one question is, how do you target chinook with a live bait if they're down at 100 ft on a bright day? Can you sinker and drop the anchovy down that low and it will survive?

Lot's to learn here and I'm all for this live bait fishing, I think it will up the catch ratio, and what I'd like to try is live bait on chinook so I don't keep catching native coho.

· Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Downriggers, SLOW troll, drifting for the most part. or if you can pick up a school of fish on your sonar, take a livebait hook, leader, swivel with a egg weight, and drop it down..

Livebait works for everything!

Not sure if your'll be able to keep those pesky native 'ho's off your rigs..

· Registered
5,354 Posts
If fishing deep with a weighted live bait fish you will likely tangle without going forward slowly until you reach your desired depth. If you knit the sweater before putting a fish on the line bad things are likely to happen.

· Registered
3,689 Posts
I'll let a little tidbit out on this.....We've actually been live baiting chinook on the big blue for a few years now. Mostly closer to the mouth but it can be extremely effective I've found in water less than 75'. We use a pretty simple rig, a three way swivel with a 24" dropper and an 18-22" leader. A smaller live bait hook (gami) and let it down and drift. Hook the bait through the nose because when you let it down it won't drag it backwards and kill it. Don't bomb it to the bottom, just a consistent drop will typically work. It's pretty exciting, but word to the wise, don't set the hook too quick, wait for it like a sturgeon bite.

We did the research on it a few years back and came up with the same conclusions from F&W. So we take anchovies caught in the bay before we fish and head out.

tc

· Registered
463 Posts
We have hsd similiar luck off Brookings. When the chovies are thick in the harbor they are very effective on ocean and tidal area. Only problem is the blacks etc that
cannot leave these live chovies alone on drop for salmons.

TIGHT LINES, BENT RODS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.