IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my kids camping on the Little North Santiam River, and we went hiking down the river. We stopped for a rest, and were enjoying the view, when my 8 year old says "Dad! Steelhead!" Sure enough, there was a nice steelhead right below us, that hadn't been spooked off by four kids and an adult tramping around. So here are some photos of it for your enjoyment. The last one shows it picking a fly off the surface. It did this a couple of times while we watched it. It was really something to see.

happybrew

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to take and post those pictures. Really Fun! Even better that you watched him in peace and didn't try to catch him. I don't think that I could have left from watching him. Better than TV. Grant

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Great pictures!!! Super clear water, must of been real neat having your 8 year old son spotting the fish. Could be a great pal to take with you on a summer run trip or two.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
simply beautiful - thanks for sharing. I have a few places (closed to fishing) where I enjoy watching steelies sip bugs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Happybrew,
The pictures are simply beautiful. The clarity of the water along with the camera has made some great photos. What kind of camera and did you use on these pics?
Way to go!

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, the camera was a cheapo Bell&Howell BH 21 marketed by Jazz for about 30 bucks a couple of years ago. The software to run it wouldn't work, but I did get my scanner software to recognize it and download the pics. Now it's listed on Amazon.com for $70, and it's not marketed by Jazz anymore. It doesn't work well in direct bright sunlight.

The steelhead was a native, but I don't know if it's a summer, or if it's a late winter/spring steelhead that wouldn't go back down when the flows dropped. It was above Salmon Falls. It looked chrome, but it was a bit skinnier than I'm used to seeing. I've heard that the Little N. Santiam doesn't have a run of summers, but there it was, looking happy as could be. It went back into the current after we took the picture, then a different steelhead moved into some shallow water near the tailout soon afterwards. There were at least two, possibly three steelhead in the pool. My kids were quite excited to see them sipping bugs from the surface.

happybrew

·
Registered
106 Posts
Native summer steelhead have been in Little North Fork for years. A friend videotaped one in Elkhorn Creek about 2 miles above Salmon Falls in late July a couple of years ago. There are also some 10 pound native rainbows there, but they are fatter than your steelhead.

The pictures are beautiful.

Bill Sanderson
Mill City
503 897 3301

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
That is the coolest!!!
:grin: :cheers: :dance: :bowdown:
I have some cool pics of the Kokanee running up the Santiam from Detroit that I will have to figure out how to scan in and share.

Thank You!

·
Banned
553 Posts
What an abosolutely beautiful river! One of my favorites, wish they still had a hatch program on it.... I have seen fish in there nearly all year round. A few of us fish it, mostly all c&r.

Nice pictures :cheers:
KC

·
Registered
585 Posts
it's amazing how high up a river those things can get. last year (in wisconsin, lake superior steelhead) i saw a 19" fish in a creek about 12" wide...slithering up and over rocks and sticks to get to who knows where. makes you wonder how high in that system they can go (battle ax cr., etc)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
What a treat for the kids as well as you're self.
Nice job on the photo. :grin: :bowdown: :grin:

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Hey Happy brew! Reminds me of home! I grew up there! Looks like you are up around Shady Cove camp ground area. Love it up there! Unfortunately seldom get up in that neck of the woods anymore.(bummer) Good pic`s!!!!! I new the river was probably low and clear, but that looks really low! Great takin` the kids to see that. Enjoy! Fishft.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by santiamflyguy:
it's amazing how high up a river those things can get. last year (in wisconsin, lake superior steelhead) i saw a 19" fish in a creek about 12" wide...slithering up and over rocks and sticks to get to who knows where. makes you wonder how high in that system they can go (battle ax cr., etc)
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">When I was growing up in California, I saw smolts in an irrigation ditch that fed into a steelhead stream. It was also about 12" wide. It's amazing.

happybrew

1 - 20 of 22 Posts