IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a little fishing this summer up in Washington and I've gotta take a minute to vent a bit.

The garbage on some of these streambanks is outta control! I mean bottles (glass and plastic), bait containers, yards of line, food wrappers, plastic tarps, burnt trash, pop cans, the list goes on and on.

I've not noticed yet that the litter is so bad in Oregon yet, but PLEASE dont litter! We've got a lot of beauty around here and lets keep it this way.

Secondly, would you believe I found a dead wild steelhead this weekend on a Washington river that had its adipose cut off (I could tell it was fresh)...apparently the person who caught the fish had reservations about keeping it!

HC

[ 09-15-2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: half canuck ]

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
A trash bag is always in my vest. If we all police the banks and pick up after the slobs, maybe the banks will remain open to us a little longer.

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
The kilchis parking lot at 101 is SICK!
I think people in the summer go there to party.
It took me an hour to clean it up last week. I went back this week, and it's bad again! :mad:

Some people's kids....

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
the results of a bunch of knuckle-dragging no goods. :depressed: God only knows what else these kind do to the woods, the fish, the resources. It's good there are peaople who care about preserving things.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah, the frequently fished holes on the Wilson are just as bad. I recycled $3.00 worth of cans/bottles one day while cleaning up a couple places. If you pack it in, pack it out.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, now that's a great idea...make some $ on recycles. I will be picking up stuff w/ renewed enthusiasm now!

HC

·
Registered
588 Posts
What I would like to do is hide a small video camera in one of the trees and catch them on film so I could return all of their trash and then some or at least report them, citzens arrest actually does work trust me I have done it before. I hate litter bugs but we can't legally kill them yet... :grin:

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
If you pack it in...PACK IT OUT!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Last year I picked up a large trash bag full at Lost Lake (Clatsup Co.) came back again and picked up another full bag. Peaple trashed the place faster than I could clean it up although a couple of little kids helped me the second time. This year while fishing there I saw a couple of Longviews peaple with trash bags picking up. I was embarasssed to be a fisherman. This is private land and we are fishing there on their good will. Willamette Industries (now Warehouser) has had their land by Barney Reservoir closed recently because of fires. They will open it for hunting season but will close it afterward because too many people are trashing it. Some of us should get together a couple times a year and do some organized cleanups at various places.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I agree I have also fished a lot this summer and spent some time on the upper wilson and the garbage up there is out of control!!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Since 1967 I fished and camped at the Oak Springs fish hatchery on the Deschutes River.
Just before I would leave I would pick up the trash that others had left as well as my own.
Last July this all came to a end.
Lyle Curtis the manager at Oak Springs had to close the area to overnight camping.
Lyle told me that over the last few years vandalism, litering and theft of fish and gasoline was the reason.
Some of this can be atributed to the increase of rafters, but from the amount of liter I picked up on the banks some fishermen did their fair of littering.
Oak Springs is now open dawn to dusk.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome to the new Oregon! Third world countries look the same as driving through Portland and Salem. Bums everywhere throwing their crap everywhere, stealing shopping carts by the hundreds; cities and state turn a blind eye. People(not me!) keep voting the same idiots into office; somehow this is showing compassion to them allowing them to pollute our woods/streams.:cry:

·
Registered
199 Posts
A trash bag is always in my vest. If we all police the banks and pick up after the slobs, maybe the banks will remain open to us a little longer.
By police the banks do you mean shove the idiot into the water when you see them trashing the place???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts