IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fishin' buddy Paul and I hit the coast this week for a few days of fun-in-the-sun... We caught a few bait fish (herring) off the peer, crabbed-a-bit (no real luck to speak of), got our limit of Caucles, and headed off to Depot Bay to fish for Lingcod off the rocks. We tied up our baits with two hooks, a whole herring and a 3-foot dropper to a 2 ounce sinker. The fishing was a bit slow, but two lings were landed: a 23 incher (really brown in color), and a 25 incher (with a real green belly). Surprisingly, I also caught a 10 inch greenling before we left the coast. Lingcod can be found in really close off the rocks. Whether you are off the South Jetty at Newport or right off the main drag at Depot bay - Lincod are fun fish to catch... They dive for the rocks immediatekly after setting the hook, so make sure your leader material is thick and your pole has some backbone. HAPPY FISHING IFISHER'S!!!

-Nate(FishingForStergeon)
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If I were you, I'd either qualify your statement about the 23" ling by saying
that you let him go or correct your post to state that it was at least 24" long.
Don't want to see anybody getting busted for undersized fish!!
:shocked:

-assAssin-

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dear Fish Assassin:

The first one was 23" inches (too small) and YES, I DID LET IT GO! Lingcod have to be at least 24" inches to keep. I'm sorry for not making myself clear! I have never poached fish! The keeper however, was really tasty for dinner today... Paul had me and my friend Donna over for dinner... Paul cooked the KEEPER with garlic, seasonings, and butter over the grill - it was great! The clams were boiled and hit the spot too!

Sincerely,
FishingForStergeon (Nate)
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts