IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used one of these last week for Lings and can not figure out where to find them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brad

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Reactions: ryhlick

·
Registered
226 Posts
Barview Jetty Store just past Garibaldi, OR. They have all sorts of great fishing jigs as the owner (Rick) is a very knowledgeable fisherman and stocks all the best stuff.

·
Vendor
9,549 Posts
I like the plain lead diamond jigs from the online auction house. Ten or 12 oz for lings, and 4 oz for rockfish. Plain lead seems to outfish any kind of paint job. Add a cheap bendy treble hook and you're good to go.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts

Agree with Tinman

4, 6, 8, 12oz should cover you for most situations. I also like to put a hoochie or some flashy tape on once in awhile or just take a knife and scratch the sides to make them shiny.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
View attachment 954699
Agree with Tinman

4, 6, 8, 12oz should cover you for most situations. I also like to put a hoochie or some flashy tape on once in awhile or just take a knife and scratch the sides to make them shiny.
I'm surprised by the placement of the hoochie on your far right jig. I use flutter jigs all the time but drape my hoochies over the hook, not in the lead position. My thought is that the hoochie grabs most of the attention and that is where the fish will target. Not sure if I am right but dang it is effective. Last but not least for me is that while I have molds for 4, 7, and 9 oz. flutter jigs, I rarely use anything other than the 4 oz. Easier on my 70 year old shoulders and seems to fish just as well as the heavier jigs. But I also fish in water less than 150 foot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bobs in Longview. Up to 24oz. We call those baseball bats. I think Gene at tackle time might have them too.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have the mold in multiple weights for both the baseball bat cod and diamond jigs. Had to search hard to find somewhere that made them

·
Premium Member
17,563 Posts
I'm surprised by the placement of the hoochie on your far right jig. I use flutter jigs all the time but drape my hoochies over the hook, not in the lead position. My thought is that the hoochie grabs most of the attention and that is where the fish will target. Not sure if I am right but dang it is effective. Last but not least for me is that while I have molds for 4, 7, and 9 oz. flutter jigs, I rarely use anything other than the 4 oz. Easier on my 70 year old shoulders and seems to fish just as well as the heavier jigs. But I also fish in water less than 150 foot.
Hoochie is a new one on me. Might have to try that. I poured a bunch of 8, 10, and 12 oz flutter jigs and painted in eyes with fingernail paint. On some I put reflective or hylographic tape on the side, most not. But while I occasionally use the split double hooks I prefer using an assist hook tied at the top so it dangles along the side of the lure in the water. Maybe add a hoochie or white worm to it? Hmmm.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Hoochie is a new one on me. Might have to try that. I poured a bunch of 8, 10, and 12 oz flutter jigs and painted in eyes with fingernail paint. On some I put reflective or hylographic tape on the side, most not. But while I occasionally use the split double hooks I prefer using an assist hook tied at the top so it dangles along the side of the lure in the water. Maybe add a hoochie or white worm to it? Hmmm.

The double hooks will straighten a little when you get hung up is why I use them. Plain, hoochie over the weight or on the hook, taped they all catch fish. The one in the pic was just how I had it rigged last time I fished. I leave the flutter jigs plain, just put a little bend in them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts