IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting into big water trolling B-10, big blue for salmon. What type of line braided-vs-mono do you guys recommend. Was thinking about 50 lb power-pro, is this ok or should I step it up a size to 80, I remember that I was told once that with braided you should go a lot heavier than your normal mono size. Oh ya, I'd be pulling divers and flashers, like delta divers or deep sixes.
Thanks for the input.
Mikeymoto :bowdown:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Mikey --- We recently had a great day with Chris Vertopoulis, and I noted that he used 60-pound Power Pro (or something that looks just like it) and 50 pound Maxima Ultragreen for leaders. And hugantic stainless hooks, presumably so the fish don't swallow as many. Must work, as we landed every fish but one.

[ 08-30-2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Mikeymoto,I run 50# tuff line with 40# maxima leader. Have'nt had any line failures yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I run 30 lb tuff-line and it works fine for me. No broken lines yet :dance: .

Call me crazy :shocked:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, so its off to the store I go, well that is tomorrow when the are open.
Mikeymoto

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
the reason that folks go with heavier super braids is to help prevent spool dig-ins. 50# is a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
65# berkley whiplash for main line and 50# trilene big game in clear for leader

[ 08-31-2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts