IFish.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow salties,
I was rummaging through the clearance table at fishermans and found a
roll of 25# flouricarbon line. Looks like about 500 yrds for only $25.00 so I couldn't resist. My question is do you think 25 pound is ok for casting to jumpers?? Would it also be enough for live bait fishing??
thanks.

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Yes. 25# is perfect for casting, assuming it matches up to the rod. It could be OK for live bait, assuming it is not too stiff. However, 20 is usually preferred for flylining live bait.

We use 20 and 25 for swimbaits, and 30 for iron.

If you get chewed off on the 25, simply tie on a very small swivel, and attach a short piece (~ 20 inches) of 40 lb fluorocarbon leader.

The one thing to be careful of....some of the fluorocarbon-coated lines can be rather stiff. You want a soft line for casting, both to reduce backlash, and also to reduce memory (you don't want those stiff coils to stay in the line after you cast).

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
:yeahthat:

At only $25 and being on clearance, I'd wonder if it's been laying around for a couple years. A braided backer with 50-100 yard topshot works plenty fine too. I have 100 yards on my iron rig. I'll usually let almost all of it out when I fish the slide. That way I know about how far back I am. Too stiff a leader may be hard on our smaller chovies too, so 20-25# is fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts