IFish Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of innocent people dying because they end up in the water when they didn't plan to. I'm tired of the excuses too.

"A tragic accident"

"Bad luck"

"Freak wave"

People are dying because they are riding around in boats without wearing the means of their survival. A simple PFD. Any kind. Something to keep them breathing air instead of water when the unexpected happens.

It is time for a law that mandates that anyone on the water wear a PFD. We have laws that mandate the wearing of seat belts in automobiles and on airplanes, motorcycle helmets, PFDs for kids, etc. Those laws save innocent lives. I suspect that the odds, per capita, of dying or being seriously injured from a water "accident" are significantly higher than from driving or being a passenger in an automobile or aircraft.

Don't tell me that such a law infringes on your rights. A mandatory PFD law would sacrifice no more of your "rights" than you give up already. Society already limits your right to risk your life and mine.

Some say that the PFD issue is different because you are not risking my life or exposing me to costs if you fall out of a boat or drown. The folks in Tillamook spent a lot of taxpayer money on the rescue effort last Saturday, Oregon taxpayers spent a bunch on state police efforts, and the U.S. taxpayer spent a bunch on the Coast Guard efforts to save those poor souls. And all of us may have paid if any of those who ended up at the hospital lacked full insurance. And if you or your child falls in the water and you rightfully expect me to help, then you are definitely creating risk for me.

I'm tired of it. I don't want to hear about all the reasons for not wearing a PFD. I just want the dying to stop.

I'd also like to see one guide or charterboat skipper step up and take the position that PFDs are mandatory hereafter in their boats. Big boat, drift boat, sled, or whatever. Mandatory.

I'm tired of it. :mad: It's time to fix this problem once and for all.

[ 06-17-2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

G

·
"I'm tired of it. I don't want to hear about all the reasons for not wearing a PFD. I just want the dying to stop".

With that mindset we should outlaw motorcycles as well. We make them wear helmets what about the rest off their body? Nothing would happen to them if they just rode the bus....or stayed on the beach.

[ 06-17-2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
There are enough laws on the books now. Let the skippers take responsibility and require their passangers to wear life jackets. We don't need another law that our already overburdened law enforcement people have to watch out for. Let individuals take personal responsibility.

I'll vote no on any law that mandates that life jackets must be worn by all at all times.

The closest I'd come would be something that covers bar crossings only, or only ocean conditions when USCG says are overly hazardous.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
No more laws, thank you.

Leave us some choices. Wear a PFD, or die. Wear a helmet, or die. Wear your seat belt, or die.

I don't understand. My death-avoidance instinct is much stronger than my ticket-avoidance instinct (though that one is indeed powerful!)

[Normally I would make a harsh statement that seems really inappropriate after the Taki Tooo accident.]

So where is the Yaki-Taki now?

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Why is that everytime something "tragic" happens a law needs to be passed. I don't get it. :hoboy:

Last time I checked I was a thinking responsible adult who is accountable for my own actions.
Is this such a novel concept? :whazzup:

Maybe we just need to scrap our present system and live by Carl Marx's way. Let a few think for the rest of us because I guess most of us are too
for our own good.

[ 06-17-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: WaterDog ]

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
I would vote yes to a law for bar crossings and/or Class II or smaller vessels that are in the ocean.

Tulley, :hoboy: You can come up with something better than that I hope. I wouldn't push that issue too far cause I'd vote yes to banning street bikes also. Lost 2 friends that way.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Why is that everytime something "tragic" happens a law needs to be passed. I don't get it.

Last time I checked I was a thinking responsible adult who is accountable for my own actions. Is this such a novel concept?

Maybe we just need to scrap our present system and live by Carl Marx's way. Let a few think for the rest of us because I guess most of us are too
for our own good.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Last time I checked I was a thinking responsible adult who is accountable for my own actions.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I'm sure the victims felt that way too, but I'll bet their remaining family members wish there would have been a law to force them to wear PFD's, don't you think?

Sometimes we have to create laws to protect the IGNORANT that can't figure out right from wrong by themselves.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I think you few are being a little harsh on Thumper.

What I believe is being said and it was said in the other posts is that a lot of people thatgo on guided trips or charters don't realize if they are in daner or not because they have no idea what a bad condition looks like. When they see the captain of a charter with no life jacket, then they believe it is OK not to wear one because it must be safe.

I think some of you would be singing a different tune if that tragedy happened to one of your relatives.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
My thoughts exactly corrirod!!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I am an ER nurse in a coastal hospital. I've taken care of drowning patients. I've taken care of people who've been without life jackets. I've taken care of people who've had life jackets.

What I believe is being said and it was said in the other posts is that a lot of people thatgo on guided trips or charters don't realize if they are in daner or not because they have no idea what a bad condition looks like. When they see the captain of a charter with no life jacket, then they believe it is OK not to wear one because it must be safe
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Than pass a law to hold the captain responsible if one of their passangers goes overboard and drowns without a lifejacket on. After all, the captain DOES know what the sea conditions are. (or at least should).

Oh wait!! The captain already IS responsible for the safety of the passangers onboard. Never mind, don't worry about a law then.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Originally posted by corrirod:
Sometimes we have to create laws to protect the IGNORANT that can't figure out right from wrong by themselves. [/QB]
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Exactly! :cheers: Sheez Waterdog, it's not a "burka". :wink: Like Pilar said in another thread I ain't perfect in wearing a PFD all the time but I definitly try. Sure would keep the sheriff and coast guard busy issing tickets and making money for the state. Shoot, they might even abolish income tax with the revenues this could generate. :shocked:

[ 06-17-2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: CATCH AND EAT ]

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Holding the captain responsible is great. The problem is you can't hold him/her responsible until after something bad has happened. And in the case of the Taki-Tooo, I don't think the captain really cares at this point.

The problem resulted in the passengers trusting the captain to the extent they were willing to risk their lives for a fish.

·
Registered
464 Posts
First off THIS IS NOT LEN - I am Terry his other half. SO I will try to keep my foot out of my mouth.

The problem with people wearing life jackets is that the ones that are Coast Guard Approved are so darn bulky and uncomfortable that people HATE THEM. If someone would develope the suspender type that are Coast Guard Approved - that would be great! They are much more expensive but we would definately step up and buy them so our customers would not object to wearing them. As they board the boat they put them on and as they get off the boat - the take them off. With the exception of me - cuz I hate suntan lines!! :laugh:

Only kidding - cuz what good would a suntan do me if I am dead?

Seriuosly, we see no problem with mandatory wearing of Life Jackets for all bar crossings and then once in the ocean - I don't know - but to go as far as to blanket all fishing/boating activities - it is not going to work. Besides people would not comply. You know the old - look like you have your seat belt on trick?

Terry

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Corrirod, I will interpret your use of the word "ignorant" with its true definition oposed to an insulting insensitive remark.

That being said, those who were on the boat may well have been "ignorant" to the danger they faced being on a boat which was on the water which can capsize causing LOSS OF LIFE. Whos responsibility should it be if those who are on the boat dont know of this danger? Why not remove the guess-work which is obviously hit-or-miss costing people thier lives, and mandate PFD's?

If there were a law requiring PFD's...those who perished may have had a chance to escape unharmed dispite thier innocent ignorance.

Either that, or a sensible charter company who should NOT be ignorant to the dangers of entering the ocean should mandate the use of PFD's.

I have a difficult time being tollerant to those who refuse to consider a law requiring them, its a matter of life and death, and I suspect those who argue against a law expect me and everyone else to believe they would have been wearing one if they were on the Taki Tooo?

11 DEAD BODIES on the Garibaldi shoreline!...could it be any more obvious that PFD's NEED TO BE WORN AT ALL TIMES? the fact that every person who was wearing one survived paints a pretty clear picture doesnt it???

If a law would prevent the death of at least ONE of the ignorant, or the immortal all-knowing IFish boater, I say pass it.

Would it be so simple to disregard the benefits of a law if one of your own family died this past week on the Taki Tooo?

[ 06-17-2003, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Originally posted by corrirod:

I'm sure the victims felt that way too, but I'll bet their remaining family members wish there would have been a law to force them to wear PFD's, don't you think?

Sometimes we have to create laws to protect the IGNORANT that can't figure out right from wrong by themselves.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">My thoughts exactly once again. Like I said before, it is a different story when it doesn't involve you. Pretty easy to sit back and say that "It's not the law, I don't need one". I doubt the families of the lost are saying that. I am not saying that we need to restrict everything you do, but some people honestly don't understand when they are in danger or not.

Sea Jypzee, I can't believ you have the gaul to say that about the captain being in charge at a time like this. Well, the captain was in charge of theb Taki Tooo, but that sure as heck doesn't bring back those 9 dead and 2 missing to their families now does it????????? The families can sue the charter companies and get money or something but that doesn't help those missing or dead. Like corrirod said, I don't think the captain is going to care much now.

[ 06-17-2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I'm not trying to bash Thumper here. I like Jack and agree with him in most cases. :smile:

Rod, I understand what your saying but on the other hand ignorance is no excuse. It is curable however. I just don’t agree another law on the books is what is required. Let the charters police themselves and make their own decisions. I would guess most of them are responsible (there’s that word again) enough that they have already made some policy changes regarding life jackets.

Learn from it but don’t handcuff everyone because of it.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
*****Edited*****
Not appropriate at this time.

[ 06-17-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Some pretty crude comments being thrown around on here.

WaterDog: How in the world are you going to cure someone of ingnorance when they are dead???
Lepper, I guess some people are just not up to your evolved state of being. I guess your saying that the people that died did so because they are weak or not as smart. Not the case. Very sad you think that way. :hoboy:

[ 06-17-2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.