IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Some ODFW examples of what they do in my locale:

1. Managing hatcheries
2. Stocking trout at Hagg
3. Counting fish at the ramps (sometimes)
4. Planting corn, milo, millet on Sauvie Island for duck season
5. Controlled pheasant hunts (which they purchase) at EE Wilson and Sauvie.
6. Inspect crab/fish at Garibaldi

My dad lives in Crescent City CA. CDFW does zero for the duck hunters down there. Duck hunters are a 2nd class user group to them. The environmentalist groups come first.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Some background on this: At least Oregon charges the same price for kids, resident or non-resident. I think that's a good thing.

For Pittman-Robinson and Wallop-Breaux excise tax $$$ (I think I got the names right): I recall funds are distributed to the states by the % of all licenses sold. So if Oregon sold 5% of the licensces nationwide, they get 5% of the $. But only licenses that are SOLD count-- free licenses don't.
So a state has an incentive to charge for licenses, even if a small amount..........................

RT

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Within the last couple of years ODFW lowered the age requirement but in turn lowered the cost near 60%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do as well as Oregon. Have no problem with buying licenses. But making little kids buy a license? Sad! How many will not get interested in fishing because of this? Want to take young kid fishing? Well we got to go get a license first. Then let’s require a license for everyone, no matter what age.

·
Registered
11,010 Posts
Washington doesn’t require fishing licenses for children until they’re 15; they do need to have catch record cards which can cost .50 I think.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I do as well as Oregon. Have no problem with buying licenses. But making little kids buy a license? Sad! How many will not get interested in fishing because of this?
As a kid, picking up my first fishing/hunting license was a great experience, curated by the adults taking me so I felt like I was joining a club.

I remember using money I earned working my Summer job to pay for the license and was proud to do so. It made me feel like an "adult". For the youngest, parents should obviously pick up the tab.

I have no problem with people paying a little for a kids or pioneer license so the State can qualify for funds generated by the tax.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My kid is 11. He has enjoyed his free license for a while. I paid his $5 salmon tag each year. I don't mind.

He just passed his hunters safety class. He can still get a free hunting license this fall. But if he wants to put in for controlled hunts then he needs a purchased youth license. He will be applying for youth only hunts managed by ODFW. Again I don't mind at all. Ditto for NWR youth only hunts. Kids got it great in Oregon IMO.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,524 Posts

1. Managing hatcheries
Add to that list paying for OSP's Wildlife Enforcement Division's work. Right or wrong, that expense is covered by ODFW's budget

Reactions: Spinitrode

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
My granddaughter just got her first license. 12 years old. Sad that Oregon requires a license at that age. California only if 16 or older and not required if fishing from a public pier in the ocean.
View attachment 984247
Well ...look at the funny state of State of California. To compare 'in our times' to now is unfair. From 'in our times' to current times life has been easier million times more. Kids learn things wsy faster and the brain itself has adapted to learn things faster than 'in our times' time. Things cost money and money runs a lot of things far efficiently than they were running in 'in our times'

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,524 Posts

1. Managing hatcheries
From today's ODFW recreation report...

Our workshops and events calendar has some appealing options:
  • A kokanee fishing workshop and derby,
  • introduction to hunting seminars,
  • shotgun skills classes,
  • 3D archery events, and
  • upcoming pheasant hunting workshops.

Find more details, including how to register.

Reactions: Spinitrode
1 - 20 of 30 Posts