IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am planning on drifting the lewis this weekend from the hatchery down to where ever. Anyone have any suggestions of areas to cover, or things we need to watch for. I.E. any bad spots, hazards or technical areas that are hard to navigate. I hear this is a great place to get moving water experience. Have been out in lakes and the lower part of the river. Just haven't drifted further up in these waters. My neighbor has but it has been a few years. We are hoping that all the rain and cold has pushed a few steelies up the river a little early this year. Thanks for all the info.

Cartman

· Registered
10,630 Posts
I hear this is a great place to get moving water experience.
Moving? Well, yes it does move. Only just. The most exciting place is probably around the Haapa Chrusher. I don't know what the difficulty ratings are but I would say it is a 0.25 rapid.

Lots of places to get fish, especially around the golf course and Haapa Chrusher. Meat Hole, Johnson Creek as well.

Good luck and have fun. :yay:

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas. I know it doesn't exactly move FAST but moves none the less. I am still new to the sticks and anchoring in a driftboat so I want to be able to at least get some experience. I have been told this river is a good place to learn and get into some fish.

Cartman

· Registered
12,221 Posts
Actually Kingfisher85 did post a note a couple of weeks ago about a new sweeper at the end of Johnson Flats, which is the long, dead-slow section below the hatchery. You might want to PM him and ask if it might be a problem for drift boats. I doubt it though.

· Registered
12,221 Posts
I hope there's plenty of water, i fished near daybreak the otehr day & it was running lower then I expected.
First off, Daybreak is on the East Fork, not the North Fork. If you were talking about the North Fork, the following would apply.

That would likely have been on a Thursday. On Thursdays they lower the river (North Fork) to 1,500 CFS to count fall chinook bodies. The river is presently at 6,000 CFS --- lots of water.

By the way, even at 1,500 CFS (or even at 1,100) the river can be safely boated, either by drift boats or by sleds (if you know what you are doing).

· Registered
471 Posts
It was on Tuesday, It looked so low it appeared I could have walked across it below daybreak I was on the bank that day, I haven't drifted the Lewis that much, so I'm no expert on how good the water is down the main fishing stem, at least the weather will be perfect, sunny & 59 for sat & sun, good luck out there Keith!

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never did get to drift but fished day break monday afternoon. saw one fish caught. Now if I am not mistaken all fish on this river are to be released? I don't know of a hatchery so all are wild? :help: I have very little knowledge and reading the pamphlet it like greek. I will release all fish on this river anyway. if I am wrong please let me know. As of yet I still have yet to catch a steelhead so no worries for me.

cartman (keith fisher)

· Registered
2,223 Posts
Correct......Eastfork you may bonk the clipped STEELHEAD! do not however bonk clipped or unclipped Coho. I have heard of alot of people catching coho out of this river....they must not have read the regs! Also no bonking of Chinook. This river is pretty bad off as it is so we need to be responsible for our actions on the Eastfork. Maybe someday we can harvest cohos and kings again! :smash:

· Registered
5,109 Posts
That sweeper at the bottom of Johnson flats is blocking the main shot, however, you can go between the two pre-existing logs then pull back over to the right. I don't think that sweeper will be a permanent fixture though, it probably will be gone the next 10,000cfs shot we get. BTW, listen for boats coming up river before going down. No room for two passing at the same time there.
Happy T-Day to ya :wave:

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks. I'm sure i will bonk one hatchery fish on the lewis, but everything else goes back to the river. I saw a native steelhead taken yesterday and was wondering about it. I will be watching for this and report it if need be. Just looking for clarification on the east fork.

cartman

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.