IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the deal. I've had the opportunity to shoot a buddy of mines 300 Ultra Mag a few times. He has it set up with a Leupold Mark 4 tactical tower scope. He has a laminated 3x5 card on the stock of the gun that shows how many clicks he has to adjust out to 1000 yards at 50 yard increments.

My question is I've looked all over the web for a ballistics chart or program that does the calculations for the scope and gun it's mounted on. Does anyone know of a program out there that does this for you?? I've found a few demo programs online but nothing that goes out to 1000 yards.

I will be buying one of these scopes soon to mount on my .30-378.

Any help is appreciated...

Keith

· Registered
2,593 Posts
Hmmm not really anything I know of that is specific to your scope/rifle combo. Hornady has a ballistics calculator that goes out to 1000 yards, but I think you would still have to figure out for yourself how to adjust the scope.

Those are nice scopes. Spendy thought, around $1000 bucks, give or take.

· Registered
721 Posts
I use the Sierra infinity software. It will do all that you ask and more. It also allows you to plot the path of several bullets to compare the trajectory. If you want I would be willing to chrono your loads and then knock out a trajectory chart for you. PM me if interested.

· Registered
4,443 Posts
The site Go-faster listed is the one that I've been using for years. That guy updates the software and keeps improving everything.

As far as the scope goes....you can get any good leupold scope and have target turrets mounted on it. Might save you a couple bills. 2 of my hunting rifles have elevation turrets. I don't use a windage turret because I don't think I'm that good at judging the wind across uneven (read canyons etc.) terrain and don't want to be thinking about that too much. Good luck and have fun. I love ranging targets way out there and dialing in the MOA and lettin' the lead fly. It's fun and good practice. I'm sure I will never shoot at a big game animal that far but....a really big coyote might tempt me. :jester:

Mark

· Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use the Sierra infinity software. It will do all that you ask and more. It also allows you to plot the path of several bullets to compare the trajectory. If you want I would be willing to chrono your loads and then knock out a trajectory chart for you. PM me if interested.
I appreciate the help. I'm a few weeks out from getting everything going. I do have a friend that has a chronograph and likely can have him get that info for me. I'll be in touch...

Keith:grin:

· Registered
663 Posts
Remember. . .!!

The data provided by on-line sources and software programs are only staring points. Accurate starting points. . .but starting points nonetheless. You owe it to yourself (and any potential animal you sling long range pills at) to take your given load to the range and confirm your speeds and, ideally, your real-world come-ups at the various ranges. I've found QL will get your really close. . .but it takes actually shooting the load at the given distance to confirm the end result.

Just my $.02, FWIW! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.