IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone knows that Timothy Lake is the crawdad meathole. When God said, "Let there be crawdads" there was Billy Chinook.

Anyone want to give up there favorite crawdadin' holes? Your second fav?

I've heard the biggest crawdiddlydaddies in the US are in the Columbia River. Once knew of a man....went by the name of Homer.....arms like tree trunks....and a thatch of hair, red as the fires of hell....claims to have caught a crawdad 9 inches long, missing one claw, weighing 1.5 lbs. Would you eat a Columbia River daddy?

Freak

·
Premium Member
14,395 Posts
i don't think i'd eat a crawdad from the columbia. i've sworn off of bottom feeders (catfish, sturgeon and the like) for the most part but crabs and crawdads are the exception for me. that being said, their place of origin makes a huge difference for me. highland lakes are pretty free from a lot of the pollutants that plague lower elevation water bodies. long story short: eat one - no; use one for bait (sturgeon, B-run steelies??) - yes.

as for location, there's a lake not too far from PDX that i want to try out for daddies but i've got to get the boat done first. till then, i'm not telling.

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
I like to think about dads in terms of quality , not size. If we think ecologically, the food chain (web nowadays) in lakes like tim and billy is only marginally rich. I imagine the crawbabies have to fight over the gobs of powerbait and the annual dieoff of planter trout. In the big CR, God only knows what they eat. Where was the nine incher caught? Near Hanford?

In my book, the coastal craw is the finest. These babies are nourished by the seasonal banquet of spawned out (but nutritious) ocean going salmonids. They are delicately flavored by the essence of sitka spruce and tannic acid.

Two weeks ago I put out a couple traps for a couple hours and got a couple dozen on the nehalem. Man they were tasty.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I know some folks who pull nearly 300 pnds of crawfish from the pudding river every year. It doesnt take them very long either. Many of these crawdads are huge. They taste fantastic, just wouldnt eat them more than one or two times a year, for fear of pollutants.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I am with Tundra on this one. I grew up in Woodburn and the Pudding river is the best and most under trapped river in the area. The Crawdads are great and the numbers are impressive...

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
My mom and dad used to do a lot of trapping around Kalama ... Trojan!

'Course ... they're dead now. Just a coincidence.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
BIG DADS? COLUMBIA? Where you ask? Above John Day Dam... Roosevelt to be exact... I will eat'm They are BIG and BAD.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once helped a friend demo a house on the Siuslaw over a couple of weekends. Not sure how far up we were, but we saw steelies spawning. The water was the color of tea with the tannins in it. What blew my mind was the crawdads were bright orange, like they came pre-boiled. You could see them scattered along the river bottom.

The next week I threw in some traps. They were tasty, but I can't say they were any better than ones I had caught in Timothy.

Is the bright color unique to the Siuslaw or to coastal rivers? Never seen it before.

Anyone ever dad the Siletz? I'll be fishing Coyote Rock the last two weekends of Sept. How far upriver do you need to go to catch crawdads?

Freak

·
Registered
355 Posts
I eat on big mess a year. :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts