IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s talk grills. Sold our house and bought a new one and are getting rid of a lot of things that aren’t working so well anymore. That includes the memorial day special gas grill I bought at Home Depot eight years ago. Time to upgrade. I’d like to know what grills guys are using these days, what you love about them or hate about them. I usually just straight up grill meat and veggies, direct heat. So along with makes and models, I’d love to hear your ideas on how to use them. I’ve also been thinking about getting into smoking, so smokers are fair game. Though I admit when I see the price tag on those traegers I shudder a little. Or a lot. If you think it’s worth it, convince me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Let’s talk grills. Sold our house and bought a new one and are getting rid of a lot of things that aren’t working so well anymore. That includes the memorial day special gas grill I bought at Home Depot eight years ago. Time to upgrade. I’d like to know what grills guys are using these days, what you love about them or hate about them. I usually just straight up grill meat and veggies, direct heat. So along with makes and models, I’d love to hear your ideas on how to use them. I’ve also been thinking about getting into smoking, so smokers are fair game. Though I admit when I see the price tag on those traegers I shudder a little. Or a lot. If you think it’s worth it, convince me.
Master built gravity series 560. You smoke and bbq all day long on it. Charcoal for fuel. I love it.

I cook literally everything on mine. Steaks, ribs , pizza and cobblers. The list is never ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
I have smokers and grill. The gas grill is for convenience but better than a oven
We have gone through several Char-broil commercial infrared. They are not commercial grade but the way they are set up I can grill bacon with no flare ups. We cook steaks, birds, veggies seafood, well pretty much everything. My wife jokes we would starve without our grill.
I can afford a high end one but these grill how I want to. No flare ups. Others that I have seen and I certainly have not seen them all, will flare when fat drips.

·
Registered
460 Posts
How do you smoke if using charcoal for fuel? What kind of maintenance? Do you throw a cobbler on there in cast iron?
You can add wood directly to the firebox if you want to add some sort of wood flavor. However charcoal actually smokes great. A lot of the best professional bbq chefs use just charcoal. No added wood or other fuel. The smoke flavor is there without being the only thing you taste like some of the pellet grills produce. It’s good old fashion bbq only upgraded a tad.

The pic is of the ribs I did recently just before they were getting wrapped.

3 2 1 method. 3 hours of smoke but I did it at 3 different temps. 180/200/225. Nice and juicy with a great bark. None of the fall of the bone bs they try sell as good bbq.

Yes we like bush’s baked beans. Haha

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You can add wood directly to the firebox if you want to add some sort of wood flavor. However charcoal actually smokes great. A lot of the best professional bbq chefs use just charcoal. No added wood or other fuel. The smoke flavor is there without being the only thing you taste like some of the pellet grills produce. It’s good old fashion bbq only upgraded a tad.

The pic is of the ribs I did recently just before they were getting wrapped.

3 2 1 method. 3 hours of smoke but I did it at 3 different temps. 180/200/225. Nice and juicy with a great bark. None of the fall of the bone bs they try sell as good bbq.

Yes we like bush’s baked beans. Haha

On the other side of your wallet there does it say Bad M..... ......, like Jules in Pulp Fiction?

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
we were having flare ups for sure. How is yours set up to prevent this?
The infrared has a grill/pan under the cast iron grill. You can slide the grill 3/4 of an inch to on side and it blocks the direct flame. Or if your a glutton for punishment you can leave the flame exposed
Mine is always covered. Still gets seating hot fast

·
Registered
263 Posts
You'll get 100 different answers to this if you ask 100 different people. But I'll toss in my input, thanks to our last few stimulus checks, I decided to dive head first into the world of smoking and grilling and purchased damn near an entire outdoor kitchen in the last year and a half, I've had combo grills and hand me down gas grills in the past, and they worked okay but now that I have a set of nice grills I would never go cheap again. Over the last year I like to think I got pretty good at it (family and friends seem to agree) It's the simplest thing in the world to do but with so many different ways to go about it you gotta ask yourself what you want to do or what you think you'll be doing mostly.

First off do NOT buy Traeger. They are cheaply made popcans these days compared to what they used to be. Seen too many issues with em and customer service to not back it up. For a pellet grill I went with a RecTec (now known as ReqTeq) They are built much better than Traegers and have a much better, 6 year warranty, I have only had to use the customer service once in the last 18 months and it was a very smooth experience. Well worth the money. I know a few people who have Green Mountains as well. They also seem to be a well built grill, no insight to the customer service on Green Mountain's end though. I love my pellet grill and use it very often. Set it and forget it has never been easier. I've done 18 hour briskets and several overnight pork butts, you simply cannot beat the convenience of a pellet grill. There is a huge debate over pellet smokers being "real smokers" as you do not get as strong a smoke taste like you would with a stick burner or charcoal/wood smokers but it definitely results in an amazing end result. The flavor is still there, just a little more subtle. I've found out some people actually prefer that over your oldschool stick burning flavor.

For the late night after work burger/steak cravings, or the days when I am lazy, or need the extra grill space for the big cookouts, my gas grill also sees it's fair share of use. I went with a mid tier Weber Genesis II, 4 burner stainless steel model, the stainless steel matches the RecTec nicely. It is the only Weber gasser I've owned and is definitely built solid, it heats super evenly and has a sear burner that hits 700 pretty quickly. Definitely no complaints with it!

For charcoal cooking and real wood smoking I went with an "upper" model Weber kettle master touch. You simply cannot beat the oldschool Weber Kettles. It actually gets the most use on my back deck and was by far the least expensive 😅 they do it all and temperature management is so easy on them. As I type this I actually have a dutch oven full of smoked chili that is currently cooking on it. There is a TON of cool inserts and attachments I use with it. My only gripe with the Weber kettles is the 22" is not nearly big enough for multiple racks of ribs, to remedy that I am going to add one more smoker to my lineup someday, probably a real offset wood burner, either a reverse flow or vertical smoker. Just for when I am in the mood to tend to a fire all day and need the space for a lot more food.

Also deserving of an honorable mention is the big and little chiefs that I strictly use for fish. Those need nothing said about them though as any PNW sportsman already knows all about them 😉

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
I have a Traeger Pellet grill. The best part of a pellet grill is that it keeps a given temperature pretty consistently. My brother recently entered the pellet grill market. He got a Camp Chef from Sportsmans for Father’s Day. It has a lot of features for less price. I don’t know if it is durable, but the like I said, the main cool thing about pellet grills is that they can easily keep a constant temperature.

For the record, even if you don’t buy a Traeger consider using the Traeger app for the recipes. They are extensive.

Have fun.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You'll get 100 different answers to this if you ask 100 different people. But I'll toss in my input, thanks to our last few stimulus checks, I decided to dive head first into the world of smoking and grilling and purchased damn near an entire outdoor kitchen in the last year and a half, I've had combo grills and hand me down gas grills in the past, and they worked okay but now that I have a set of nice grills I would never go cheap again. Over the last year I like to think I got pretty good at it (family and friends seem to agree) It's the simplest thing in the world to do but with so many different ways to go about it you gotta ask yourself what you want to do or what you think you'll be doing mostly.

First off do NOT buy Traeger. They are cheaply made popcans these days compared to what they used to be. Seen too many issues with em and customer service to not back it up. For a pellet grill I went with a RecTec (now known as ReqTeq) They are built much better than Traegers and have a much better, 6 year warranty, I have only had to use the customer service once in the last 18 months and it was a very smooth experience. Well worth the money. I know a few people who have Green Mountains as well. They also seem to be a well built grill, no insight to the customer service on Green Mountain's end though. I love my pellet grill and use it very often. Set it and forget it has never been easier. I've done 18 hour briskets and several overnight pork butts, you simply cannot beat the convenience of a pellet grill. There is a huge debate over pellet smokers being "real smokers" as you do not get as strong a smoke taste like you would with a stick burner or charcoal/wood smokers but it definitely results in an amazing end result. The flavor is still there, just a little more subtle. I've found out some people actually prefer that over your oldschool stick burning flavor.

For the late night after work burger/steak cravings, or the days when I am lazy, or need the extra grill space for the big cookouts, my gas grill also sees it's fair share of use. I went with a mid tier Weber Genesis II, 4 burner stainless steel model, the stainless steel matches the RecTec nicely. It is the only Weber gasser I've owned and is definitely built solid, it heats super evenly and has a sear burner that hits 700 pretty quickly. Definitely no complaints with it!

For charcoal cooking and real wood smoking I went with an "upper" model Weber kettle master touch. You simply cannot beat the oldschool Weber Kettles. It actually gets the most use on my back deck and was by far the least expensive they do it all and temperature management is so easy on them. As I type this I actually have a dutch oven full of smoked chili that is currently cooking on it. There is a TON of cool inserts and attachments I use with it. My only gripe with the Weber kettles is the 22" is not nearly big enough for multiple racks of ribs, to remedy that I am going to add one more smoker to my lineup someday, probably a real offset wood burner, either a reverse flow or vertical smoker. Just for when I am in the mood to tend to a fire all day and need the space for a lot more food.

Also deserving of an honorable mention is the big and little chiefs that I strictly use for fish. Those need nothing said about them though as any PNW sportsman already knows all about them
Green Mountain has some of the best customer service out there. Great company and they make a good grill.

The convince of gas is nice but that is the reason I decided to try the Gravity Series. It’s just as at home being a Weber charcoal grill as it is a smoker. However the added convience of being able to warm it up in 10 minutes for the burgers and hotdog meals to shutting it off just like a gas grill makes it tough to beat.

I sound like a snob here but I have sworn off propane grills for at home. They are fine for camping or quick gatherings but at home I like to enjoy cooking and slapping something real quick on the grill doesn’t do it for me.

With that said ReqTeq for the best bang for the buck or if your willing to go all Yoder is the only other option. Green mountain is decent but I fear they may be going the way of treager. I sincerely hope not.

Nothing. Enter then sipping on Some good whiskey while grilling a nice steak or chicken or whatever else may be on menu.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Green Mountain has some of the best customer service out there. Great company and they make a good grill.

The convince of gas is nice but that is the reason I decided to try the Gravity Series. It’s just as at home being a Weber charcoal grill as it is a smoker. However the added convience of being able to warm it up in 10 minutes for the burgers and hotdog meals to shutting it off just like a gas grill makes it tough to beat.

I sound like a snob here but I have sworn off propane grills for at home. They are fine for camping or quick gatherings but at home I like to enjoy cooking and slapping something real quick on the grill doesn’t do it for me.

With that said ReqTeq for the best bang for the buck or if your willing to go all Yoder is the only other option. Green mountain is decent but I fear they may be going the way of treager. I sincerely hope not.

Nothing. Enter then sipping on Some good whiskey while grilling a nice steak or chicken or whatever else may be on menu.

Have you heard of Makgrills? They are made here in Dallas OR. They even top yoder.... My parents recently picked one up. They arent cheap but should last a lifetime with incredible local support. Between myself and them we have 4 original traegers. We knew the original owners well back in the day when they were made local and better but they now are showing their age and time for some new smoker/bbq. My parents love their Mak and I see one in my future as well. Here's a couple pics of when they first got theirs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I use my Weber kettle for grilling, and a Traeger Timberline for everything else. It’s not your typical Traeger...
My brother has been using a Mak 2-Star quite regularly for about a decade with no issues.
Lots of good options out there...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have you heard of Makgrills? They are made here in Dallas OR. They even top yoder.... My parents recently picked one up. They arent cheap but should last a lifetime with incredible local support. Between myself and them we have 4 original traegers. We knew the original owners well back in the day when they were made local and better but they now are showing their age and time for some new smoker/bbq. My parents love their Mak and I see one in my future as well. Here's a couple pics of when they first got theirs.
I haven’t seen those before. Going to look into them for sure.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I’m about half way into my second Traeger. I figure I could replace that with a Traeger and that with another Traeger.

Great local story that made flavor so accessible to so many.

Absolute key to outdoor cooking: get a great cordless or wifi thermometer. Take notes and adjust.

I take a great deal of pride in the brisket that comes off that grill. Just don’t know how a person could prepare certain cuts with gas. Charcoal can be done, but the Traeger is as close to set and forget as it gets. Cost of a Traeger isn’t a factor when you consider how often it is used. Paid for itself in 2 years easy. Lasts 10 - I win.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I haven’t seen those before. Going to look into them for sure.

Your wallet wont like them... Haha but you will. They are awesome people. My dad went to the factory before ordering. Got a tour and a test run on one they use for the shop. Their products are top notch and designed well from what we can see. My folks figured it may be their last bbq for home by how well it seems to be made. I will be getting one in sure. Everything else other then yoder is just kinda cheaply made. They all work but for how long?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Your wallet wont like them... Haha but you will. They are awesome people. My dad went to the factory before ordering. Got a tour and a test run on one they use for the shop. Their products are top notch and designed well from what we can see. My folks figured it may be their last bbq for home by how well it seems to be made. I will be getting one in sure. Everything else other then yoder is just kinda cheaply made. They all work but for how long?
Yea I just looked and at that price point I am having hard time justifying it. I don’t have a financial strain to prevent me from buying one, I just don’t see where they can justify that price. I mean 3-4K for the grill and the. Another 1500 in accessories. Man that’s tough even for those with the means to buy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yea I just looked and at that price point I am having hard time justifying it. I don’t have a financial strain to prevent me from buying one, I just don’t see where they can justify that price. I mean 3-4K for the grill and the. Another 1500 in accessories. Man that’s tough even for those with the means to buy.

I totally get it. My parents have some coin into theirs... I guess the justification is buying local, well built with great support. People buy them and everyone with them seems to love them. I think being smaller they have to charge a little more. They arent mass produced over seas. The stainless and components they use are far superior then the others out there as well. It shouldn't rust out like the lesser brands... Also the pellet system seems to be a lot better as well. You can really see the attention to detail. Every nut and bolt is well thought out. Even the little tools they include to help with the assembly are USA made. I know that's not important to all but for them and myself in the future I guess it is. It's definitely a buy once cry once investment. Buy this and hopefully last a lifetime or 3 of the others which will probably happen. All this is what im telling myself anyways haha

1 - 20 of 62 Posts