IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just learned the hard way.....Don't leave a full bottle of lemon joy in your boat where it can be exposed to direct sunlight. The contents will leak out and make a mess :shocked: . I just spent over an hour cleaning the remains of a full bottle out of the carpeted area below the gunnel of my boat and now I have to try to get all of the suds out of the bildge
. The whole engine compartment is full of suds. Any ideas on how to get them out :shrug: .

love2fish

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
At least you don't have to use soap..... :tongue:

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Well, at least your bilge will be lemony fresh. :wink:
I'm sitting here trying to remember what to use to neutralize soap suds. I knew this at one time, but I can't think of it for the life of me. :whazzup: I guess just keep rinsing.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Don't forget to soak some of that up with your anchor rope! :grin: :grin: Thanks for the heads up, sorry you found out the hard way.

·
Registered
769 Posts
:shrug: Just make sure the boat is bow up, put the garden hose in near the middle of the boat and run it a bit slower than your plug will allow water to flow out of it, and walk away. A friend of mine did something similar a couple of years ago and it took "Hours" to get it all out. Wash down the whole thing, run the hose and work in the yard, or something for an hour or two. This "In the Sun" rule is the same for many many products, like various scents, jars of Powerbait, CANDLES!, WD-40, etc. They can literally EXPLODE! :mad: Especially if you have a hardtop or fully enclosed softtop. On a 90 degree day outside with direct sunlight, the inside of your boat can approach, like, 2000-3000 degrees, or something like that (- ; Anyway, Everyone will know your boat by "Scent" alone! Maybe you should rename the craft "Lemon Fresh"

Good Luck! :wink:

PegLeg Ken
:cheers:

[ 08-24-2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: PegLeg Ken ]

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I did what PegLegKen suggested, I stuck the hose in and let it sit while I ran some errands. The engine compartment smells nice now, but I liked it better when the boat smelled like fish :rolleyes:

Thanks,

love2fish

·
Registered
756 Posts
Next time you go out, don't put in the plug.
Take someone along with a bucket to keep water flowing through. You'll see lots of bubbles to begin with, but when you can't see 'em anymore, your day is over. :shocked:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Love2fish their are two things you can use to try to reduce the foaming action of the soap.
1. Go to washing machine and grab the fabric softner. kills the soap suds in an instant.
2. Go to the store and grab some Anti-foam off the Rug Doctor display.
either will work fine. :rolleyes: :grin:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Bad news a buddy of mine basically had the same thing happen and it came out okay but that has been 2 years ago and hasn't been able to catch a fish since. Okay I can't tell a lie, neither has happened but just think if it did.

·
Registered
366 Posts
LTF,

Ditto what pegleg said, it'll take a while, but that's how I'd do it. If you are in a rush, there's a product sold to eliminate bubbles from hot tubs, called foam down . All the spa or pool places will have it or something like it. I think it's a silicone based product. Or you could get a bottle of gas-X (simethicone) pills and dissove them in the bilge. :grin: :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
539 Posts
My bottle of lemon joy leaked all over a side tray in my boat. I jacked up the bow in my yard and hosed out the tray onto the floor and out the drain. The tray is clean and there is probabaly soap still in the bilge but doesn't hurt the fish catching of this boat. :grin:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Had one of those puppies go off in my luggage coming back from Iraq. Having it in a ziplock did help a little. If you use hard water it makes a lot less suds.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Dont hose it out of the bilge... just add some anise oil and you have a built in scent injector, just add some water and whala, a scent stream! :laugh: :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts