IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning on leaving my Arima in the water for the month of October. I am leaving it at Sawyers landing on the Yaquina for the first time. I want to know, what do I need to do besides getting my engines out of the water and draining the bildge. I can't wash out engines on site which I do religiously,or wash the boat down every time I use it. What should I do not to have a corrosive moldy nasty boat after the month. Also does long exposure to salt water damage the hull?? Any tips would be very helpful Thanks.:cheers:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
It takes about a week for stuff to start growing on your hull, and by 10 days it's usually thick enough to effect your speed and mileage. If you don't have bottom paint on it, I wouldn't do it. I know that sounds melodramatic, but stuff grows.

Is it just because you're going to be fishing a lot over there, or is there another reason you're leaving it in - like maybe getting your trailer rebuilt or something?

Skein

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
When I thought of leaving my arima 17 [email protected] garibaldi, everyone said BOTTOM COAT. Even Arima issues a warning that the gel coat will blister with prolonged(undefined) time in water especially salt water.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have three weeks off to fish, I am leaving it in the water just so I don't have to pull it everyday. I have never heard of the paint blistering, Has this happened to anyone?? I can always leave it in a week at a time and pull it out at South beach to clean it and gas up. any suggestions??

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
One more thing: I had a Arima for 13 years, and their quality is top-notch, so my admonishment was in no way a reflection on Arimas. It's just like I said, stuff grows.

A month is a looooong time.

Skein

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
I have an Olympic I left in for 6 months and got little pimples every where. If it doesn't blister (the boat I have in now hasn't) Anti foulant bottom paint is good.

If you pull it out weekly and let it dry good the stuff won't grow nearly as fast. It takes very little to suck up a lot of horsepower.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Another thing you might try, since it will only be in for a few weeks is an antifoulant wax. We've had good luck with it for short durations. If you do it right and put on a few thick coats, and the key is to let it cure up properly, then you'll be fine.

For any longer time in the water though I would highly recommend bottom paint. The first coat is spendy because of all the prep but I would recommend having the pros do it so its done right. If its done right then you will likely only have to do touch up to it for the rest of the boats life.:twocents:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I did 3 weeks in warrenton a couple of years ago on a unpainted searay I had. I discovered the growth on the bottom only after I went to 3/4 throttle on my V8 and still was unable to plane. It felt like I was dragging a sea-anchor. Went back to the launch and found about 4" of growth on the hull and outdrive( barnacles and grass).
Had to run a broom over the hull to recover speed again.
I was removing barnacles for years after that. It's incredible how fast that stuff can grow.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Use dock line snubbers. At that dock you get a lot of wind and tide pull on your cleats. So much it can bend them. So I use line snubbers
when ever I stay there. they have them at the store.

HM

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think this has been discussed pretty extensively on the Arima owners site. I would look back thru some of their ideas. From what I remember they all agreed with the bottom paint. I was told last year if you leave your boat in for a spell to take it and run it on fresh water that kills every thing but you'll still have to scrape it off. Maybe a pull and good scrubbing once a week would avoid alot of extra work and possible damage. Are the fish in up there?
Good Luck!

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Wax is good, it makes the weekly pull/clean/dry easier too. If you pull and clean weekly don't forget to hose the salt off the trailer.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
I am planning on leaving my Arima in the water for the month of October. I am leaving it at Sawyers landing on the Yaquina for the first time. I want to know, what do I need to do besides getting my engines out of the water and draining the bildge. I can't wash out engines on site which I do religiously,or wash the boat down every time I use it. What should I do not to have a corrosive moldy nasty boat after the month. Also does long exposure to salt water damage the hull?? Any tips would be very helpful Thanks.:cheers:
I would not clean any fish on-board. In fact I would try to keep fish off the deck if possible. get some of those under bed sweater box things, as any fish "parts" that get into the bilge are going to stay there until you pull her out of the water.

EK

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Forgot to suggest you polish/wax all crome and fittings to slow down possible salt damage? Wash off with fresh water for sure when you can?

Wax is probably the best preventive we know of to ease your boat clean up from the salt?

Go get them thar fish creatures Jeff....................:dance:

Linda;)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Bottom Coat of Anti-fouling paint, about $400 to $500 at a shop, if it hasn't had a gel coat on first, then have that applied, that makes total job $600 to $800. Then when you trailer, make sure that the boat doesn't get dragged over the skids or rollers on your trailers, that rubs the paint off, put the trailer deep in the water, then get the boat right over the trailer, and pull it out carefully so that it "lands" on the trailer square as you come out of the water.

I leave my 25 ft. trophy in the astoria basin from March to October with no problems now that I bottom painted, before that it was fighting really thick growth after a few weeks, I could always plane, but not very well. This year with the bottom paint, my fuel bills are less than half what they were.

You'll like having the boat in the water. It's so nice. One suggestion, get a cart for carrying everything from car to dockside, what with ice, bait, extra clothes, lunch, it's nice to have that cart, I just leave mine on the dock and use it to haul everything, and sometimes fish too, back to the car.

Happy Fishing!

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I left my Arima in the water at hammonds and was surprised how much junk built up on it in three days......

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
when my trailer was down I was stuck mooring for nearly three weeks in newport ,I did get hair buildup but not as bad as I thought it would be

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to thank everyone for all the input. what I think I am going to doing is to keep it in the water for a couple days at a time then pull it out at South beach and scrub it down really good, then take it back over to Saywers. It will still be better than having to launch it everyday, That would get old quick and would probably keep me off the water. Thanks again!!:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts