IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have had enough and Saturday I blew my cool...Why is that at O' dark hundred hours folks have to LEAVE their head lights on while backing down and lanching their boat on the ramp...For some odd reason I have to deal with this at Chinook Landing more than any other place...

For heavens sake...turn your parking lights on....

To that young guy I lost my cool with sorry...and to the guy in the next ramp, with a new sled ya should have known better....

Bottomline , other at the top need to see too....

I feel better now !!!

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
True dat :hoboy:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Some of us have rigs that won't let us turn them off. I have a F350 with full time lights. The emergency brake trick doesn't work and I do not have the knowledge to start ripping wires out just to please a few people at the ramp. Before you think all the people are
's that don't know any better, there may be another circumstance invlolved.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oddly enough I too have one of those vehicles with full running lights, BUT also oddly enough the owners manual outlines how to over ride that feature...That way when I go to Ft Lewis I can come to the gate with just parking lights on, or also when I lanuch my boat I don't blind all my fellow fisher"people"....

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I agree with those that turn their lights down. I always do. And Then You have those who don't look down the ramp before they back down.
Friday Morning it's dark, am alone and just started tying up to the dock when I see a boat backing down......... Running lights are on my truck but he's still comming. Stopped short about three feet from my truck before he saw it.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Yeah, that sucks when that happens. But seriously, how much time did you actually lose? I've been there, I think we all have, you just need to relax. Why start your day angry... over lights of all things? It just doesn't make sense to me. It's annoying, but so what, it's not the end of the world. It maybe makes your time at the ramp 5 minutes longer max, and it's less if you politely ask them to turn off their lights. In fact, I'd say you lucked out in this situation. I don't know exactly what the situations was, but it sounds like this young guy just sat back and took your anger in stride, lucky you. I can tell you, that had you started yelling at me or giving me a hard time, it would've been a different situation. I don't take that stuff lightly, not from someone who I don't know, and it would end up in a situation neither of us wanted. How embarassed to you think that poor guy was. Not only was he doing the wrong thing, but he gets to get reamed by you. Here's the deal, if you ask me nicely, or let me know I'm doing something wrong that's making your day tougher, I'm happy to do whatever you need. If not, well, I guess we all make decisions and we have to deal with the consequences. Take care, and good luck on the river.

SH22

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Netone- WWJD. You know what I mean. Sometimes people do the strangest things on the boat ramp or on the water. The best thing to do is get out of the way and if you can politely say something- then do it. Otherwise move on and enjoy the day. It's a short life, enjoy the good fishing we have out there.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
It is a pain to deal with the lights, but it is not the end of the world. I have found that walking up to the drivers window and asking nicely if they will please turn their headlights off they will gladly and usally they'll apologize for forgetting.

It's early in the morning, a lot is going on, and for a lot of these people they only go out a handful of times a year. So either ask nicely or keep your pie hole shut.

The guys with the bark hardly ever have a bite. Its the quiet ones you need to watch.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Ohhhhh. That doesn't seem that bad, I don't really even know what your sorry for. I thought you got up in this guys face or somethin' and then proceeded to the other guy with the sled (I've seen similar situations before, sometimes fishermen are the worst people in the world). I would actually appreciate that if I was him, heck, maybe he even knows to turn off his lights, but just forgot. As long as you say it nicely (and your right, in that environment it's difficult, you kinda have to yell and be direct), I don't see a single thing wrong with saying, "Hey, could turn off your lights, I can't see to back down." I guess it's just how you go about it, and it sounds like you really didn't do anything you should feel bad for. I've seen it all when it comes to confrontations at the ramp. I pretty much grew up at Meldrum Bar on the Willamette from the ages of 10-15, my friends and I fished there everyday. We've seen much, MUCH worse than this. So I'm sorry, if I sounded like a
, I just misinterpreted the situation. That's the thing about posting, everyone else is reading it and interprets what you write differently, they can't see any facial expressions and once you hit reply, you can't really clear up the detail until your next post.

By the way, I launch out of Chinook Landing every now and then. If you see a little 16' Smokercraft Alaskan (I think everone calls them "coffin boats" on the Columbia) with a 15 h.p. Yamaha, say Hi, it's probably me. Can't miss me, I'm smaller than 90% of the boats out there.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Disabling your DRL's is not that hard. :rolleyes: There is this thing called the internet, where there is a website for EVERYTHING......

If you drive a Ford( SD or f150), go to THIS RECENT THREAD and follow the links provided.

If you drive a GM or Dodge, there are sites for them as well.

:smile:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steelhead22...No issues here, Trust me it was far from a be-little-ment and angered yell..was a point of what i refer to as direct correction. I am a very very easing going guy, takes alot to put me over the edge. I just know what it feels like to be corrected, because thats how I learned, oh the stories I could tell..they are funny now. Because deep inside..we all feel a great pride in our boats, gear and skills out their...To me when I get to go fishing its as if I am playing in the Super Bowl...I think 95% of my fishing is for the solitude and down time from the daily battles..The fish become sometimes more work once ya get home, I am on a catch & release mode now..

Will do, I will be the jerk controlling the top of the ramp yelling at everyone...Just kidding..

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll bring some of those little orange light things that those guys have at the airport, oh yeah, and an orange vest with reflectors :laugh: :laugh: .

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Actually I RARELY have a problem with peoples headlights in my eyes :shrug: ...................................I just sleep in, get there LATE, and squeeze in next to the boat that's hookin' all the fish!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
105 Posts
NETONE:
If you would have done this to me I would have turned off my lights, rolled up my truck window, and pulled my boat out of the water. Next I would have jotted down your vehicle plat number and boat numbers. Next I would have called the police.

As soon as they put you in the back of the police car I would go back to launching my boat. Remembering to turn off my lights as you asked me to.

You have NO right to “loose your cool”!!!!

Oregon state Law: Chapter 166 — Offenses Against Public Order
166.025 Disorderly conduct. (1) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, the person:
(a) Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior;
(b) Makes unreasonable noise; (yelling at someone you do not know)
(c) Disturbs any lawful assembly of persons without lawful authority; (like a public boat ramp)
(d) Obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic on a public way; (getting out of your vehical is considered threatening behavior by the law)
(e) Congregates with other persons in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse;
(f) Initiates or circulates a report, knowing it to be false, concerning an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime, catastrophe or other emergency; or
(g) Creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which the person is not licensed or privileged to do.
(2) Disorderly conduct is a Class B misdemeanor.
166.065 Harassment. (1) A person commits the crime of harassment if the person intentionally:
(a) Harasses or annoys another person by:
(A) Subjecting such other person to offensive physical contact; or
(B) Publicly insulting such other person by abusive words or gestures in a manner intended and likely to provoke a violent response;
(3) Harassment is a Class B misdemeanor.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stryker...

I think you need to take some time to read the posts above, to include mine..., and not, infer, a fisty - cuff situtation...It was so far from that...For me to "lose my cool", that means I actually spoke up...An to be very blunt...I think most here would have too with 3 vehicle blasting lights up the ramp and about 4 - 5 boat in the wait line and 3 on deck...

In fact this is my last effort to explain that, if one does not get it from hence forth...then why enter in to a post without read it first..

I give....

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
WaterDog- Catching URB's in the Columbia isn't that hard either, it just takes others a little longer than some :wink: :laugh: :grin:

I guess I should look into getting them turned off someday. Just didn't think it was that big of an issue until now.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts