IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave for Anchorage, Alaska on Wednesday for 5 days of fishing. Does anyone have any advice on what I should bring along that are must haves? We'll be fishing the Kenai, Susitna, Kasilof, Russian, Copper, and a few other places. Thanks for any input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you have the time you might consider the Kings on the Talkeetna River. When I lived up there we would do a trip the weekend before the 4th of July to a stream called Clear Creek. We would hire a boat in Talkeetna to run us up and drop us off for a few days of out standing fishing. The kings are huge and the reds are running at the same time. Crouds were not as big as down on the Russian... Good luck and have a great trip! Wish I was going with you...

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
100% DEET !

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was on the Kasilof two weeks ago...you may need your own rock, but tons of fish. One of the handiest things on my vacation was eye pads/covers for sleeping in the constant light....those padded things they hand out on airplanes with the strap to hold it on your head....not being used to 22 hours of daylight, I couldn't get to sleep without them unless I had imbibed heavily.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I justy returned from Lake Creek. I found my best success came on #9 & #15 Panther Martins in Yellow/silver Blade & Black/ Bronse blade. I also did well with Egg sucking leech patterns on the fly ( Red & Green). Also Red Tiger striped wiggel warts seemed to be a hot ticket in the evening.

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
Drop me an email and I'll do my best to line you out, maybe we can even hook up and fish an evening or 2.
Tight lines
WRO

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WRO,
Sounds good. I'll be staying with a friend in Eagle River. I'll message a contact to you before I leave. Thanks-Dakotan

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Trout Tako...did you float Lake Creek? If so was it from Chulatna Lake to the Yentna? Or were you at the lodge near the mouth? I floated it from the lake to the mouth one yar hunting and fishing. Got into a fifty mile stretch of whitewater that kept us pretty busy. Was kind of glad I didn't shoot a moose. Would have tough to handle the raft with the extra weight

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Dakotan,

amen to the eye cover. FYI, on my first two trips to this great area I came back sick. No sleep and all run down. All those fish and all that daylight. So take my advice and get some sleep, forget about hooking a few dozen more reds at 2AM just caus you can............

·
Registered
138 Posts
Your Ifish hat,

I leave wed. evening as well

It would be nice to see an Ifisher while im up there.

A friend thats up there right now said watch out for mosquitos, they are big and nasty.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was at a friends cabin right above cottonwood lodge on the slough between little lake creek and lake creek proper. We had a small jon boat w/ a 20 horse jet & managed to run about 8 miles up the river from the mouth. I've heard there is some tough white water up there class 3's & 4's. I've been thinking of making the float from the lake to the mouth. How was the fishing in the rough sections, is it worth the float?

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
"Who needs sleep?"

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Cohodependent..... I'm with ya' on the Talkeetna and Clear Creek. I was up there a few years ago and had a Great Time! The Kings were in the second week of July and stacked like cord wood in Clear Creek. We stayed at a cabin at the drop off point, but spent several days walkin' up Clear Creek and hammerin' Big Feesh..... We released 'em all. Except one afternoon when the 3 of us were fishin' and my buddy caught a little one, about 25 pounds.

We built a fire on the river bank in the late afternoon. We had an aluminum grate with us, and ate most of that beautiful fish with our fingers.... It was great! We decided to head back down river when we saw two, rather large, bears who were clearly interested in our celebration.....

A truly amazing place.....

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Afterbite itch remover. GI Joes should have it. It makes bites stop itching.

If your back ever gets sore, a back support belt is good, too.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Trout Tako...the fishing is good all the way from the lake down. There is some class three and a couple of class four rapids. Some sections of the river have 50 feet/mile drop, so it keeps you pretty busy. All in all it was a great trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts