IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do ya get the wing joint and/or thigh, done with the rest of the turkey. Can I relocate the pop up done feature?

Breast turned up or down? Been doin' them on the Traeger, this year the oven... Newbie again.....

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
spatchcock spatchcock spatchcock

for my pellet grill, I run 225. This year I was advised to coat in duck fat to crisp the skin, I will report back on that. Although we are keeping it super chill, just my wife and kids, so doing a chicken and a small rib roast. Will be spatchcocking the chicken with a rub of duck fat and seasonings
don't poke the breast to see if its done, I run about 30 minuets per pound. If the thigh hits 175+ you should be good to go.
Every dang bird is different though
Don't be afraid to try and time it to get it done and hour or so before dinner, if it makes it, put it in the smallest warm cooler it'll fit in

·
Registered
40,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bradly.... Cooler thing sounds great. Thanks.

Roady.... I'm comin' to your house!!! Perfection.

Can't do spatchcock, too big for oven and other technical details.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Today (Wednesday) Daughter and I celebrated Thanksgiving early. Daughter works at PDX International tomorrow. It is gonna be busy! I'll be taking her there because I am sure that Uber or L:yft is taking the day off... We did the turkey in a Roaster.

Reactions: lingslayer

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I gots one-word for your dilemma, Spatchcock. This has eliminated not only cooking time, but the headache of certain parts not getting done while others are over cooked.
This definitely! I was not convinced till I finally tried it? I will never go back. Less cooking time, and everything comes out moist and delicious! I do put in the smoker for a couple hours first.
When you get a chance, try it sometime.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It helps to brine your bird, but that is not a last minute thing.
The Splatchcock approach works. I am old fashioned and like to see a whole roasted bird.
I love the built in temp gauge probe on my oven that reads out internal temp without having to open door. They do make aftermaket ones that have a probe and wire that come out the oven door leading to a display.

·
Registered
157 Posts
spatchcock spatchcock spatchcock

for my pellet grill, I run 225. This year I was advised to coat in duck fat to crisp the skin, I will report back on that. Although we are keeping it super chill, just my wife and kids, so doing a chicken and a small rib roast. Will be spatchcocking the chicken with a rub of duck fat and seasonings
don't poke the breast to see if its done, I run about 30 minuets per pound. If the thigh hits 175+ you should be good to go.
Every dang bird is different though
Don't be afraid to try and time it to get it done and hour or so before dinner, if it makes it, put it in the smallest warm cooler it'll fit in
Yep, have not cooked a Turkey any other way since I did my first. I usually use the oven but going grill this year, sticking with 450. If the skin isn't crisping in the grill I'll pull it early and put it in the oven for a few.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts