IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are headed down to Depot Bay tonight. I figured we could turn up HWY 229 and fish on the Siletz for the evening. Joshua saved up his birthday money and bought a new Okuma SST 9'6" 6-12 lbs spinning rod. We have never even seen the Siletz River before but he wants to wet his line on his new pole for the first time. Can anyone PM me or text me a decent spot to bank fish for a couple of hours?

Thanks,
Chris
971-275-6917

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
always here moonshine park, and the gorge mentioned as good spots....
Thanks, I was able to find Moonshine Park, any idea where the gorge is located? I'm not familiar with the nick names there.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Any where above Moonshine is considered the gorge.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any where above Moonshine is considered the gorge.
Thanks, does anyone know of a place that is a bit closer to the turn off from Hwy 101? It's going to take me maybe two hours to get to the turn off then Moonshine is another hour or so according to google maps.

Packing now then heading out :cool: Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I would shoot for lower in the river. Two of us fished Moonshine and the Gorge from 3 miles up all the way down Thursday/Friday. It is an absolutely beautiful place to fish and you can see the bottom in a lot of of the steelhead water. We only saw one fish the whole time and caught a lot of smolts/trout but no steelhead.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thanks, does anyone know of a place that is a bit closer to the turn off from Hwy 101? It's going to take me maybe two hours to get to the turn off then Moonshine is another hour or so according to google maps.

Packing now then heading out :cool: Thanks for the help.
The tide water ends just below Morgan park...... and there is very little public access. Moonshine has the longest stretch of bank access anywhere on the river.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I second the idea of Moonshine Park. In addition to a lot of room for bank fishing there is also camping and picnic tables plus very easy river access.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We did in fact go to Moonshine Park, thank you for the suggestions. The boy got a couple of bites and we broke in the new rod with a couple of slips on the slimy rocks, over exuberant hook sets, stabbed it into the ground, as well as ramming it into.. a rock, a pine tree, black berries, some leafy trees, sand bank, rocky bank, muddy bank, his fathers back, his fathers front, his fathers head. I'm sure I am missing a couple of things but it was a nice park and a nice stretch of water. We just need to focus on the fact that he is jousting around with a 9'6" rod now instead of 6'6".

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
We did in fact go to Moonshine Park, thank you for the suggestions. The boy got a couple of bites and we broke in the new rod with a couple of slips on the slimy rocks, over exuberant hook sets, stabbed it into the ground, as well as ramming it into.. a rock, a pine tree, black berries, some leafy trees, sand bank, rocky bank, muddy bank, his fathers back, his fathers front, his fathers head. I'm sure I am missing a couple of things but it was a nice park and a nice stretch of water. We just need to focus on the fact that he is jousting around with a 9'6" rod now instead of 6'6".
Take a lesson from the fly fishing guys, care the rod through the bush handle first.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take a lesson from the fly fishing guys, care the rod through the bush handle first.
With his new almost 10' rod I learn real quick to not get within shouting distance. So it's hard to remind his from that far away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts