IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have done in mine even though its a small boat with 9.9hp motor since I troll with my kid and better safe than sorry but a friend asked me, rather claimed its not mandatory for main motor to have a lanyard kill switch for under 10 hp. According to me anything which has 3 hp or more and less than 26 ft in length needs it I asked him to do so ..thats when the question arised. Is that true??? Thnx!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Factors apply.

"Owners of recreational vessels produced after December 2019 are required to maintain the ECOS on their vessel in a serviceable condition."

"Section 8316 of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2021 requires individuals operating covered recreational vessels (less than 26 feet in length, with an engine capable of 115 lbs. of static thrust; 3 HP or more) to use ECOS “links.” Using the ECOSL is required only when the primary helm is not within an enclosed cabin, and when the boat is operating on plane or above displacement speed."

"Common situations where ECOSL use would not be required include docking/trailering, trolling and operating in no-wake zones."

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So from my understanding I stay corrected in OR..if your motor is 3 hp or above and your boat is less than 26' and you sit on tiller handle, you will require lanyard.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So from my understanding I stay corrected in OR..if your motor is 3 hp or above and your boat is less than 26' and you sit on tiller handle, you will require lanyard.

Using the ECOSL is required only when the primary helm is not within an enclosed cabin, and when the boat is operating on plane or above displacement speed."

I don't think my 8hp Honda will get my 20 ft boat up on plane?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I use mine while trolling solo in my small aluminum boats. Why? Because Chit happens.... you go overboard for what ever reason , and the boat keeps on going..... that would be a bad scene.

I also wear my Auto inflatable PDF all the time. Some yahoo not watching where he is going could run over a small boat. It happens now and then, and I’ve had a few close calls myself. I would just as soon live to fish another day.
My 2016 Honda 8hp has th3 lanyard switch.... Kirk

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I keep reading about the enclosed helm, what constitutes a closed helm? Is it a full cabin with a door, or a hard top or?? I have a 25' Sea Fox walkaround hardtop that is similar to a Trophy/Striper, my helm is pretty much enclosed as I have sides and glass nest to me but there is nothing behind me as it opens to the deck. There's really no way I could be thrown out sideways so I'm not sure what the definition of an enclosed helm is.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean my 14.5 ft dingy even when I go at max speed of 13 mph...I can see pretty easy right in front of me....so not required???

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I mean my 14.5 ft dingy even when I go at max speed of 13 mph...I can see pretty easy right in front of me....so not required???

Per the calculation site listed your displacement speed is just under 5 knots, so yes, required in CG regulated waterways if traveling above that speed.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If your motor has a switch installed, it must be used as specified regardless of when the motor/boat was made. Seems the only loophole is removal of the switch (not just bypass), if manufactured prior to 2020.

I’ve got a ‘91 Alumaweld Sea Dory with the original ‘91 40hp Merc tiller operated main, which has a switch installed. Didn’t come with a lanyard and clip when I acquired it, but they’re easy and cheap to find. At the end of the day it’s just a good idea IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts