IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these? I picked up 2 at the store and they said they were great for protrolls w 16oz weights. I love fiberglass and hope these will fit the bill and wanted to keep my money “local” even if they are made overseas. I’d appreciate any and all reviews. The employee said they are a huge seller so hope I can get some feedback here. Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
ClassicGlass? I found them a bit too flexible for the protroll game. Other opinions may vary. For plugs or herring - tough to beat! ✌🏻

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have two of them and use them for 360s with 10-16oz lead. They "thump" a lot better than my non-fiberglass trolling rods, which makes it easier to see if you have weeds or if you're not fishing right. I've pulled a few fish in on them so far this year, with the largest being just over 22lbs. I personally like the more "noodly" feel of a fiberglass rod when fighting as I feel like I can keep better tension on the hook.

I just wish they would make some more options in different colors. I would love to have a matching set for my classicglass Kokanee rods in bright red or mahogany.

·
Registered
14,194 Posts
ClassicGlass? I found them a bit too flexible for the protroll game. Other opinions may vary. For plugs or herring - tough to beat! ✌🏻
I believe they are a replacement for the discontinued XCF series. Not so much the Classic Glass. IMO the XCF was the best glass rods they ever made.

·
Registered
922 Posts
IMO the XCF was the best glass rods they ever made.
This is exactly correct. The XCF was a great glass rod. Unfortunately they were discontinued. I lost the top half of mine at B-10 several years ago. It bounced out of the rocket-launcher rod holder on a big wave. The top half went overboard. Can't get a replacement. But the BattleGlass might be a good substitute.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree 100%, the XCF's were the bomb. I love my 904's and 864's. Still fishing them. Great tip action and decent backbone.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anyone have any experience with these? I picked up 2 at the store and they said they were great for protrolls w 16oz weights. I love fiberglass and hope these will fit the bill and wanted to keep my money “local” even if they are made overseas. I’d appreciate any and all reviews. The employee said they are a huge seller so hope I can get some feedback here. Thanks.
Since you all-ready pulled the trigger please post up on your thoughts after you put them to use. Personally if it the same rod that I have I would find it a sub-optimal choice for that much weight and resistance from a 360 as the rod would be fully loaded up and the action way to slow to keep a barbless hook actively engaged and expect a poor land to hookup ratio with a lot of lost fish at the net.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cg90dr is classic glass, 9’0”, down rigger rod. It may work great for some with a 360 but I just don’t prefer my rod loaded up the entire troll.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have used them and love the action. They do stay a bit more loaded than other rods (but not as much as what I was using) but I love the action when fighting a fish. The glass bend and forgiveness makes me think I will keep fish pinned better. Probably all a bunch of nonsense but so much of fishing is anyway and buying new gear is fun. They are well worth the money.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just bohgt a classic glass from a fellow I fisher. I love it. Trolled it on Mon and Tuesday and caught fish on it. Try and get it out of my hands!! It does not load up a bunch with 16 oz and a 360. In fact it bounces along hypnotically. It was fun watching a classic glass on the port side and a classic glass on starboard bouncing out their rythm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts