IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be heading over to Lake Billy Chinook over Memorial Day weekend. I've never fished there before. Can anyone let me know what this lake has to offer this time of year and how to fish for them. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Kokanee and lake trout. I usually fish it later in the summer when they are deep, but I think it is wedding rings (or other basic kokanee gear) tipped with white corn fished shallow right now. They are everywhere. Tribal permit required in the Metolius arm available anywhere over there. I haven't needed it though as like I said, the kok's are everywhere. I don't target the lake trout, so I'm no help there.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I have only just started to fish this water, but here is the little I know. Kokanee and Bull Trout are the main fish targeted. There are also some nice browns around. I have heard of rainbows being caught up the Crooked river arm. If you fish the Metolius are you will need a Warm Springs fishing permit. Most all the Kokanee fishing is done in the Metolius arm. You can get fish trolling, but in this lake the most productive method is surface jigging with Buzz bombs or Gibbs minnows in red or pink. Your eyes will be you best fish finder. I have tried for Bull trout a few times but unsuccessfully. Large Rapalas I hear work well. It seems from a few things I have read, that the Bull trout will start to head deeper soon as the surface water warms so a downrigger may help.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I have fished Billy Chinook a lot around Memorial day, I prefer using a Flash lite lake troll with a 4'-6' leader with a triple teaser. I attach a 1oz to 3oz cannon ball to the rudder on the Flash lite rudder depending on where I'm graphing fish. I have caught lots of rainbows and kokes on this set up. The Deschutes and Crooked river arms are just as loaded with fish as the Metolious and you don't need a permit. Good luck when you go and report back!

Andy

·
Registered
330 Posts
Forgot one other species, small mouth bass. Not much size to them, but fun to catch in the Metolius arm.

Diddo on the Kokanee with buzz bombs in the Metolius arm. I've caught a couple of Bull trout on buzz bombs too!

[ 04-15-2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Thick-N-Thin ]

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Sounds like they just about covered it!!! :smile: Red Buzz Bombs are my meal ticket, i just paint them right out of the package. Also, lots of people insist on using corn with there jigs, but i dont think its necessary!! Ive never relied on it except when im trolling!! BTW, FRG, made a last minute trip there on sunday and that little cove that Perry South is in was loaded with fish. I wont get into #s but we did well on fish that averaged 13 inches. Ive never seen them in there that thick before!! I also did something ive never done before, and caught a smallmouth on my buzzbomb!

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Glad you did well Slamminkokes. When I saw the blue sky and no wind on Sunday I wanted to go so bad but did not qualify for a kitchen pass :wink: . Lets see, 13" now equals 16 maybe 17" by August. I know where I'll be fishing in August!

[ 04-16-2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: FallRiverGuy ]

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
FRG, dont wait til August to hit them hard! :smile: June and July always seem to be better for me! Once August hits you will fight more fish, but youll be snagging some. They get so dang thick by August that youll snag a fish as your jig drops!! Im gonna focus on the Deschutes for awhile and once the water warms abit, its back to kokanee!! :smile:

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
A ton of smallish small mouth bass in the crooked river and deschutes arms near the bridges. crawdads, same areas. Throw the traps, fish and play all day, check the traps at the end of the day. It's a steep road in and up the other side but very pretty. we'll be over there a couple of weeks before memorial day in houseboats.Ps: no crawdadding allowed in metolius arm.

·
Registered
135 Posts
have fished there many times for bull trout, remember one fish over 24 inches only, little secret for ya, slow rolled cut plug herring kicks butt early on and massive k14's in blue and silver. you can thanks me later

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Does the algae up there still bloom in late summer? I went up a couple of times around Aug and the water was full of that stuff. Yick. :sick:

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, so we've rallied about 6-7 crawdad traps. All I need to know now is what to put in them and where. I've done it a couple of times before with canned catfood. Any other tips on bait? Also, how far off the shore and how deep do you recommend? Do we just through them from shore, or is it better to have them farther out? Thanks.

SH22

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.