IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I wanted to see some more rain I absolutely could not complain about the weather today.
Me and long time buddy Erik(Ifishsum) dropped our pontoons in at McIver predawn and arranged a shuttle clear to Carver.
The idea was to fish a little, enjoy the weather and take the little boats for a splash and giggle.
We separated at first light, Erik took a nice riffle below me and we both threw flies until the sun hit the water.
I was rewarded early on, four or five casts into it a good fish grabbed the fly and took off. It was an awesome fight in small water, got backing once and several jumps out of the beast before I tailed it and let it go. It was a hatchery buck in the 10lb class, not too shabby looking but I didn't want to drag the thing all the way down in the warm weather so off he went.
Erik went bust on his flyrun so we took off and chucked spinners for a bit, trading off as we went down.
We got down around Paradise and Erik decides to run a hotshot from his pontoon boat while I banked it from the top of the run.
He gets about 50 yards down the run and the rod buries, a mad scramble ensues, fish jumps and spits the hook. Pretty funny to watch.
I've pulled plugs from mine before and know just what he was going through, you need another set of hands to deal with everything, but that's what makes it fun.

*DISCLAIMER* DON'T pull plugs from your pontoon boat without choosing water that is safe to do it from, AND have an action plan when a fish is hooked.

That was the last fish of the day we touched, from then on we just floated and picked apart the channels in the little boats.
As expected, we did not see any Silvers at all, very few fishermen. We did jump Summer fish most of the way down, many in tailouts.
Sadly, I must have seen several HUNDRED beer/pop cans littering the bottom of the river all the way down. It's too bad some folk have no respect for such an accessible river that has much to offer.

·
Premium Member
14,498 Posts
sounds like the kind of "balm for the soul" sort of trip that truly got us all into fishing. i really wish i could've been there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like a day to remember. Thoes pontoons seem like fun but a littlel tough to handle so many things at once. I just don't know why people find it necessary to throw their trash in the drink. Its not hard to pack out. Oh well, some trash cant ruin a good day.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sorry got to disagree with you! I think its apalling? to hike in to a spot sit back and get ready to enjoy a Sunrise that you can only see once and find yourself surronded by BEER CANS,BAIT CONTAINERS,CIGARETT PACKS AND LUNCH WRAPERS. I truely enjoy Oregon and Im thankfull for every day I spend here I think its as close to paridise that your going to find,BUT THE TRASH DOES RUIN MY DAY
And probely alot of others to.Remember you may not have left it and it probley wont kill you to pack it out. Sorry about the rant but I had to say it.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also saw one of those green Coleman canoes bent in half on a snag at the top right channel a bit above Carver. Hope the people got out of that one OK, small water but that's an ugly spot to go for a swim with all the snags.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
MM,
A guy I know told a story years ago about turning their Coleman canoe practically inside out on the Sandy. They pulled it out of the water and managed to pop it back right side out and it was still ok. Said they were pretty indestructible. Maybe the canoe is salvageable? I had fun watching Erik try plug pulling from his pontoon back in May for summers when you couldn't make it. Good he hooked one! Now landing can be the new challenge.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It looks pretty trashed to me but who knows...The way it is bent around the snag it would be a hard one to pull off too. I know I wouldn't risk anything to pull it off just to see if I could salvage it. Probably some of those beer cans on the bottom of the river belong to the pilot of that canoe :hoboy:
Bill

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>>>some of those beer cans on the bottom of the river belong to the pilot of that canoe<<<

:laugh:

Good point. Yeah, that canoe is toast.
As to the toon' boat plugging we are thinking of attaching some kind of metal hook sticking out of the back of each of our boats so when one guy gets a fish, the other can reel in, zip down and and hook his foot on the other boat and tow him in.
We are still trying to figure out how to keep ourselves seated when we do base jumps in the toon's..... :grin: :rolleyes: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Here is the ticket, Use a bass rod 5'er and set your drag fairly loose so when they hit the rod doubles (30lb tuff) pump the oars when the rod doubles to set the hook and grip the rod with your teeth and row to shore and fight the fish from the bank!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When alone I use stout line and a light wire hook on the plug and choose my spots carefully for safety.
When a fish whacks it I pump the oars and maybe set the hook if I have the room and set it back in the holder until I can get to shore.
Have not lost a fish yet.
I really dig the Wilson from the Demolay camp to Mills when the water is too low for the DBs in the Winter.
It's almost criminal in low water, big fun pulling out at Mills with a couple chromers with 20 bank guys at the hole with nada. :cheers:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mikey that was a great float. :grin: Hope to do it again soon.

[ 10-22-2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Ifishsum ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts