IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I woke up to next to the stairs into my apartment. The police won't do anything about the drug addicts trespassing on the property and threatening people asking them to leave. This evening there were seven of them by the driveway into the complex drinking in public. That used to be against the law. Not anymore. ORS 430.402 now says:
A political subdivision in this state shall not adopt or enforce any local law or regulation that makes any of the following an offense, a violation or the subject of criminal or civil penalties or sanctions of any kind:
(a)Public intoxication.
(b)Public drinking, except as to places where any consumption of alcoholic beverages is generally prohibited.
(c)Drunk and disorderly conduct.
(d)Vagrancy or other behavior that includes as one of its elements either drinking alcoholic beverages or using cannabis or controlled substances in public, being an alcoholic or a drug-dependent person, or being found in specified places under the influence of alcohol, cannabis or controlled substances.

I get that they want to treat it as a public health problem. But it is also a property rights problem, and should be treated as such in addition to the health problem. It's also a safety issue, especially for the children in the apartment complex. Addicts threatening violence against residents while trespassing have more rights than tenants now. I can't wait to get out of this place. Last summer I drove two hours to go fishing. As soon as I got there, I got a call that my apartment may have been broken into, and I had to come back to make sure it was secure. Luckily they didn't get in. It ruined my trip.

Road surface Asphalt Wood Sidewalk Flooring

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I’m assuming you know not all places are this way. If you can, work out a plan to move. You can fight it, but it will take longer.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Just a thought HappyBrew. You could call, explain the problem and when they say they have no one to send, thank them and hang up. Call back about twenty minutes later and say “no need to send an Officer. I just shot them”. Thirty seconds later when the squad cars pull and they say “I thought you said you shot them,,,”

You say “I thought said you had no one to send “.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Apartment? Then your property manager should be demanding that those persons be trespassed.
Is it really lack of enforcement or the property manager not doing what they should be make the property safe and secure for its tenants?

Reactions: HeavyRotation

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
The legislation we empower gives us the laws we suffer. This is what happens when drugs are decriminalized, and people "beat the system".

·
Registered
24,142 Posts
Go to an online trappers supply. Buy the stinkiest bait you can find. Then paint it on everything in the spots they use.

Reactions: Stick'em

·
Registered
371 Posts
I still vote for an annual (buckshot grill) tag! I'd buy one
Eye Tooth Mouth Human body Jaw

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Laws are made by the legislators voted into power. Law enforcement's hands are tied.
The trespass laws are still on the books. The police flat out refuse to come to enforce them. First they cited Covid. Then they said it was because I wasn't the apartment manager or owner. I looked up the law, and tenants are specifically included in those who "have control" of a property.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,144 Posts
Go to an online trappers supply. Buy the stinkiest bait you can find. Then paint it on everything in the spots they use.
You must not have smelled many transients…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m assuming you know not all places are this way. If you can, work out a plan to move. You can fight it, but it will take longer.
I have one. Unfortunately my location is impacted by my divorce. My ex threatened me with lies that would have taken my kids from me. So I gave her all the things, including the house and the tax deductions for the kids. I took on all of the debt except her hidden credit card debt incurred immediately before the divorce. I incurred a $20K tax bill due to insufficient withholding since I was withholding as married with kids. I got a place in between the schools my kids attended. Ex didn't qualify for a mortgage and had to keep the existing one. I bankrupted out of the debt and the mortgage. Still paying Uncle Sam and my student loan. The bankruptcy will preclude me from renting elsewhere. I am rebuilding my credit score, and I can get a VA home loan in early 2022.
Ex demanded legal custody, which essentially means the ability to choose schools, make legal decisions, etc. Then she failed to make required decisions like scheduling medical appointments and registering the kids for school. So I ended up doing it. Due to the school district's screwy boundaries, the kids this year now are going to middle and high schools three miles away instead of two blocks and a quarter mile way. She doesn't arrange their transportation, so I drive them to their bus stop during her parenting week, and walk them to the bus stop outside the apartment complex during my parenting week making sure no creepy people are hanging out. If they are, I stay until the bus comes.

I can't get a VA home loan until two years after the bankruptcy discharge, which is a lot better than the seven years for a conventional mortgage. Next winter I am going to try for a VA loan and get out of here. I had no idea when I moved into these apartments what it would be like when I moved in, and couldn't leave once I got here. I'm shopping now so I know what my options are as far as neighborhoods near my kids' schools. I don't want to make them change schools, and ex won't lift a finger to get them to school. So I'm constrained by that, but my options seem acceptable.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a thought HappyBrew. You could call, explain the problem and when they say they have no one to send, thank them and hang up. Call back about twenty minutes later and say “no need to send an Officer. I just shot them”. Thirty seconds later when the squad cars pull and they say “I thought you said you shot them,,,”

You say “I thought said you had no one to send “.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
If only... Unfortunately, I'd be the one they went after.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apartment? Then your property manager should be demanding that those persons be trespassed.
Is it really lack of enforcement or the property manager not doing what they should be make the property safe and secure for its tenants?
Again, the police have refused to do anything. I discussed this with the apartment manager. She had called and gotten nowhere.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Pepper spray?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually looked this up awhile back as an option. Not trapping bait, but butyric acid. It's one of the foulest smelling substances there is. When I was in college we used it in a lab experiment in organic chemistry class, and the professor said anyone who spilled it would automatically fail the course. However, that would probably be illegal under ORS 166.025, disorderly conduct, as causing "a physically offensive condition." Anything I might do to dissuade them would likely get me in trouble with the law rather than them. I've researched it thoroughly.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
You must've missed the stolen truck and trailer threads on here from Cathedral.

All recovered in the same place.

Either Portland has the dumbest cops or they're neutered by the city council.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts