IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ifishers frequent Lacamas Lake in search of bass and/or trout? :whazzup: I live less than two miles from it. Seems it'd be nice to fish there being so close, but I wonder if it's worth it? :shrug: Anyone shed some light on this hole?

Thanks,
StinkyH

·
Registered
740 Posts
I used to live on Lacamas Lake a couple years ago. Although I really didn't fish it much, I could see the action from the house.

Early in the season they stock it with trout. This usually brings out the people. There is always someone bank fishing on the north side along the road and they do catch fish. The lake is fairly deep, about 70 feet. Trollers early in the morning are always present. I stress early morning because the lake is popular for water sports. The lake isn't very big, so it can get choppy with the wake.

On each end of the lake, there is some great looking bass/panfish water. I have even seen some top notch bass boats over there. That usually is a good sign.

They also just added another public boat ramp on the south side. Maybe they will increase the stocking schedule for next year.

Good luck.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Lacamas has some big trout. My wife caught a 23 &1/2 rainbow this spring. Try longlining a worm or fly. Ditto on the trout - when they plant in the spring. Lots of perch - small but good eating. Anchor over a school and bring a kid or two.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I spent most of my youth fishing Lacamas Lake. Caught jillions of bass (topwater plugs in the evening) and bluegills.

Course that was a few years ago. Like 50. :depressed:

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Me, too. There used to be some browns in it as well, and they would run bigger.

G

·
I was working on the new high school and drove by this lake several times. I was wondering if it's a natural or man made lake?

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
It is manmade. There is a dam in the round lake portion. A great spot for skinny-dipping in the evenings with the nurses I worked swing shift with at the old St. Joe's hospital. Ah, the memories. :rolleyes: 1959 was a very good year.

[ 10-22-2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
733 Posts
i was only 5 years old in 59 thumper... but if you could send me pictures i would appreciate it.... :grin: (hmmmm naked nurses, moaned in my best homer simpson voice) joco

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Nope, no big fish in that pond ! Nope
One day this summer, 6lb catfish, 7 lb bass. If you hit it right, you can tie into 3-4 lb and larger bass by the bath tub full. I really enjoy working small plugs through the tree limbs and grass. Hitting the deeper water along the grass edges can be fun.
Trolling minnow type plugs can be a riot for trout but so can crickets under a bobber for bluegill and perch.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have been on that lake a few times. I canoe there in the summer. I have seen lots of people catch trout there in the early summer later spring time. With a new public launch that area will pick up. Like it was said earlier though, there is a lot of skiers and wave runners there. I love water sports but fishing is better. I hope that wdfw keeps a close eye on that lake. It is a great resource for that area.

Cartman

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Be carfull when using that new launch. Elwix and I used it last spring and it is a good one lane ramp with a dock. Plenty of water right there but there is a three hundred yard or better stretch that the water is real skinny. Down to less than two feet in a lot of spots. Actually it gets to less than that and there is no marked channel. Took us a half hour or so to get to the main lake. Probably take less when you know the way. That is of course unless they have dredged it over the summer. Good luck!

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is one of my old holes, Best trout action is usually early spring, but there can be biters into the fall. During the Summer months the water skiers and jet skiers pretty much take the main lake out of commision. the lake is rather narrow and the shallow sides make for some big waves caused by all the %$^* Jet skie.....er, water sports enthusiasts.
A common site in the Summer time is just about sunset, when most of the skiers are pulling out for the day, to see many people putting in their fishing boats for an evening of trolling the weed line on the west side of the lake for huge browns. OH yeah the Weeds!! The summer months roll around and this lake sprouts overnight, I think it is Hydrilla(?), but the wave action of the ski boats, breaks most of it loose and you get huge floating mats of this stuff. When the wind is blowing from the East it all piles up on the west side of the lake, trolling rapalas, light pop gear, flatfish, etc, right along the edge of these weed lines can be very productive! (If you aren't getting tangled up in the weeds very often, you aren't close enough!) The browns in this lake can like to hangout under the cover of the weeds and ambush their prey.
Someone said earlier that Lacamas is deep, But that is only a very small portion of the lake. Starting out at the launch on the east side of the lake it is no more than 30 feet deep across the middle. There is one 60 foot deep hole in the north end of the lake, but this is primarily where the bulk of the skiers hang out. I find most of the best fishing is in the 15 foot range. This is not a lake for Jet boats, I have seen more than a few get their intakes plugged to death with the floating weeds. The south end of the lake is the channel which connects to Round Lake under the bridge on Leadbetter rd. Heading south from the main lake you enter a no wake zone, for good reason. The entrance to this Channel is very shallow. During the dry months small rock islands will appear. Keep well to the west side and you will have no problems as it is usually about 15-20 feet deep on that side. Once you pass the last of the rock islands (the only one with a small dead tree on it) you will enter a deep channel (35' or so) This is all no wake, so keep your speeds down. This deep channel area is a good place to catch the planter rainbows. They like to mill about by the bridge. There are also many docks, and fallen trees, where bluegill, perch crappie can be plentiful if you time it just right. For Rainbows in the lake, I have found that trolling small dick nites, and small flat fish can be rewarding. For bait fishing not much beats a nightcrawler/Marshmallow combo. I rig it with a sliding weight and about a 2 foot leader. The marshmallows are a key ingrediant as they help provide enough floatation to get the worm just up off the weedy mucky bottom and in the fish's faces.
This is a good short afternoon trip lake, or night fishing lake, but the increase in development and the rise of other water sports on the lake has kind killed its allure. Great place to take a kid to get them hooked on fishing.

[ 10-23-2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: JeepMcMuddy ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts