IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my limited experiences fishing from a boat or plunking with a lure for salmon i have only ever used a kwikfish. they work well but can be a real pain to tune. i know there is a difference between the two, but, what is it? why do so many more fishermen prefer kwikies?

·
Registered
370 Posts
My opinion is that it is all in the marketing. The kwikies are readily available in the Portland area much more so than the flatfish. The kwikies also go on sale a lot in the area for $3 or just under. So they are relatively inexpensive, plentiful, and they work. That is a deadly combination for the competition.

·
Registered
980 Posts
There's alot of truth in the "marketing" angle. Originally, the old Flatfishes in the "big-enough-for-salmon" sizes were designed, I think, as bass plugs. The couple I have which date from the 60s typically have very lightweight treble hooks suspended on crosswise spreader bars, hanging out on both sides of the plug. Most have two hooks under the center of the plug and a third at the tail.

The rationale, as explained in the old brochures, was that "if they get close, they're hooked." (Certainly, if anything else in your tacklebox, or your hand, got close, it was hooked.) :rolleyes: More recently, the Flatfishes have been readily available with more salmon-oriented heavier hooks.

Anyway, (back to the original question,) my Flatties ain't Kwikies, but the fish don't seem to mind. :wink:

·
Registered
522 Posts
In the summer on the columbia I like to use the flat fish for steelhaed, not sure of the size but they are a little smaller maybe the size of a k14 or k13. For me the flatfish are easyer to tune also.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have an older Flatfish that is the most consistant Salmon killer plug I own. Nobody gets to borrow that one! It's name is "Pink McFlatfish"- a luck of the irish thing I guess. Or is it because it's pink? I think it just swims better! Who really knows!? :shrug:
GotZem!

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
What exactly are you doing when you "tune" a plug? Does this refer to making adjustments to rod, line, or leader so that the plug fishes the way you want it to, or are you actually making some adjustment to the plug itself? I have a few kwiks and wigglers in my tackle box, and I don't recall seeing any knobs, dials, levers, or any anything else that seems very adjustable. :smile:

·
Registered
522 Posts
riverkeeper....look on the under side of your plugs, there you shoud find a small sliding door, open it. inside there is a control panel of knobs and swiches, use those for your tuneing. larger plugs shoud have a digital diplay for settings.

:laugh:
I can't keep a stright face, the eyelet that you tie your line to can be tuned, by turning it right or left, just a little. :wink:

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
But, that seems way too simple. I figured most guides must have a remote with which they could tune their plugs while they were in the water. And I thought I remember reading something about Luhr Jensen developing a "KwikKam" so that you can watch a live video feed of the fish lining up one after another to hit your plug.

Maybe I should go into tackle R&D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts