IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few beautiful custom paint jobs on those k-15's on previous threads.

Question is, how did you do it? :shrug:
I would like to know what kind of paint & method of application you employ. Where do you buy the materials? Can you mix paint to create your own colors?

I've tried it with plain old spray paint but that doesn't work to well. Paint didn't adhere at all.

Show me more pictures too! I love to see sweet paint jobs.

Thanks!

· Registered
10,928 Posts
My preferred method of Kwikfish Kustomization is to add 20 lbs or so of salmon to it. This is generally a long and involved process, requiring hours of time. Or thats what I try to tell my wife, anyway...

[ 01-09-2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Silver Hilton ]

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Full Freezer,
Get yourself a small airbrush system. Easy to customize your own lures. Skys the limit on the special patterns you can come with. :cheers:

· Banned
8,470 Posts
FEAR NO FISH,
Airbrush seems to be a must but what about proper paint finish's. I would to learn about required finish's
Gloss, Acrilic do you need hardeners? What about lure prep..Sanding etc for the finish to adhere?

· Registered
1,357 Posts
I do not paint my own lures. I have the gentleman from BC Angling Post in Oregon City do it. Wouldn't hurt to make a road trip there and ask the master himself.

· Registered
1,695 Posts
My preferred method of Kwikfish Kustomization is to add 20 lbs or so of salmon to it.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Sounds like a buddy of mine.... I told him once that my Kwik was swimming Perfect!
He replied that it was not, that it would only be swimming perfect when a 35 pound chinook was trying to tear the rod off of the boat!

· Registered
13,100 Posts
I got my airbrush from Dixie Art, they have an incredible selection. I went with the Pasche VL which does most everything I want. I have heard some good things about the Badger 360 also.

I think the best deal is to get the airbrush from Michaels after you cut out the 40% off one item coupon out of every sundays paper.

I had a Harbor Freight single action airbrush, I might was well tried to paint eyes on my quickfish with a 4 inch paintbrush. :hoboy: You get what you pay for, I have several things from Harbor Freight and for some things it works out to be a bargain, on others I shoulda just spent the money up front before I tried to do it the cheap way.

No matter what you do, I recommend you get a double action airbrush. A single action is push the button and paint flies, no adjustment. A dual action you push the button and air travels and you can regulate how much paint you get by pulling back on the airbrush trigger. My VL set came with 3 needles so I can change those to regulate how much paint comes out when I pull the trigger all the way back.

I ordered several of the paint bottles with spray tops and solid tops, but find I use the little thimble shaped thing the most that is open to the top, I pour the paint in the thimble and paint away, takes almost no time to clean out, I spray a little water to clean the tip and switch colors very fast. I have painted several hundred lures in the last year and the more you use it the better you get.

Createx paint is kind of expensive but it sure goes thru the gun nice, all prethinned and filtered. I have been mixing some paints to get different colors because buying all the colors gets spendy. I wish I would have paid better attention in art class to how the color wheel worked

· Registered
402 Posts
I can't believe that no one has mention what a generous raking over salmonid teeth can do for a kwikfish.

Oh wait, That is how you know you've modified it correctly. Nevermind :grin:

What amazes me is that you really don't need to modify them at all. Sardines is the key. A big thick piece of sardine fillet with gut juice all over it (Liver has the most oil in it) usually always gets at the very least a driveby within fifteen minutes of being in the water. While your sitting there waiting start wrapping another. I really believe in that oil. Once you feel it has lost its potency, bring it in and snap on the recently wrapped kwikie (preferably a different color and get it back in the water.

The idea is to get an unbroken scent trail as long as possible. It is my belief that that salmon knows whether or not he is going to hit the kwikfish long before he sees it.

1,344 Posts
Hey fish hawk bait o eggs is right with dixies I didnt get mine there and paid way to much. I have a badger cresiendo and got my compressor from bimart th little colman with a 2 gallon tank it ran like $99 for the compresser if you have a big compresser you can use that with some adapters but you will need a regulator or you will shoot way to much paint. I get my paints from a local automotive paint store that also sells paint for signs its (house of color) brand.

they sell all the important flourecent colors you will need. I play around with them a little and get them the exact shade I want. it seems pretty tuff but it all hinges on a good primer. thats where ya run into problems for the florecent paints to show the right color they have to be spraid over white. white primer is not easy to find and finding a primer that will stick isnt easy either. I have however found that cabela's sells some flourecent paints and a primer I use the cabelas primer and my house of color paint sticks to it great. I have used some of cabelas flourecent paints but they are thick as molases same way with the primer. thy are laquer and if not thinned well will leave spider web looking crap all over your plug. so I just use their primer and thin the heck out of it and then the house of color florecents over it.

hope that helps you out in some way.

quasi

· Registered
142 Posts
Harbor Freight has a really nice dual action airbrush for $20 #1500-4VGA and a good enuf single action for $10 #6131-1VGA. The dual action gives you more control (amount of paint and amount of air) and the single is more on and off. You can spend a whole lot more than that if you want to but I'v done some very precision work with these (scale model aircraft and birthday cakes :shrug: ) with excellent results. No compressor? No worries. Use your spare tire. Just don't forget to refill it when your through.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.