IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the Kokanee lakes in Washington and Oregon that don’t allow motorized boats?
Looking for some lakes to camp at and don’t want all the ski and wakeboard crowd. Searching for something a bit more peaceful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
What are the Kokanee lakes in Washington and Oregon that don’t allow motorized boats?
Looking for some lakes to camp at and don’t want all the ski and wakeboard crowd. Searching for something a bit more peaceful.

A Few lakes in CO, while they allow motor, but you’ll most likely never see skiers/jet skis:

Paulina Lake
East Lake
Elk Lake
Crane prairie Res

I know you asked for no motors, this is best I can think of that’s close to that.

happy fishing

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
No motorized boats ?
Looking like I better improve my oar skills and jigging skills. Wonder how much rowing I can do before the pacemaker gives out.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Few lakes in CO, while they allow motor, but you’ll most likely never see skiers/jet skis:

Paulina Lake
East Lake
Elk Lake
Crane prairie Res

I know you asked for no motors, this is best I can think of that’s close to that.

happy fishing
Thanks. I’ll look into those lakes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No motorized boats ?
Looking like I better improve my oar skills and jigging skills. Wonder how much rowing I can do before the pacemaker gives out.
I am looking at a pedal drive kayak.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Gold Lake & Waldo Lake near Willamette Pass.

Gold Lake is Flyfishing only.

Reactions: audiophilepj

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Does Waldo have Kokanee? I hear about monster brookies but not Kokanee.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you don't mind the drive there is a lake on Orcas Island in the San Juans called Cascade lake. Moran State Park has great amenities for camping. Cascade Lake is electric motors only, but as a kid we used a canoe to go out and catch trout and kokanee. Granted this was over 30 years ago and if I recall correctly go to the far end opposite of the swimming area.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. Just to be clear though, I am specifically looking at lakes that have Kokanee in them. Not trout.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Timothy lake in OR has thousands of stunted growth kokanee and while allows motors, they are limited to 10MPH so its mostly just the fishing crowd.

Uplandsandpiper (aka SpiltMilt) may have some good recommendations as to kayak friendly koke lakes in WA since that's a big fishery he posts about.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Gold Lake & Waldo Lake near Willamette Pass.

Gold Lake is Flyfishing only.
As far as I know there are no Kokanee in Gold Lake. For the most part it's really shallow with a few deep areas up to 25' in depth. Lots of smallish Brook Trout and a some rainbows. As Shin09 said, Uplandsandpiper posts a lot here about Kokanee from a kayak. You might use the search function to find his posts and videos. Good luck with the search, CopperMan.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
As far as I know there are no Kokanee in Gold Lake. For the most part it's really shallow with a few deep areas up to 25' in depth. Lots of smallish Brook Trout and a some rainbows. As Shin09 said, Uplandsandpiper posts a lot here about Kokanee from a kayak. You might use the search function to find his posts and videos. Good luck with the search, CopperMan.
Your are correct! Don't know what I was thinking of:sleep:

Waldo would have to be self sustaining on the Kokes, as ODFW hasn't stocked it in quite a few years.

Ya never know, as I caught a Kokanee in Diamond recently. Probably a transient release along with the trout.

The bigger issue at Waldo and Gold are the "trophy size" mosquitos:eek:

Reactions: audiophilepj

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I follow Uplandsandpiper on here and YouTube. He is real comfortable with his kayak. I would be a beginner and would work my way to other lakes. Eventually I would prefer Merwin and Yale. But I see a lot of inconsiderate boaters there not paying attention to how close they throw wakes to other boats.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I fish merwin and yale from a kayak very often. You should be worrying about the windo forecast more than the boaters. Especially before June those lakes are essentially free of the splash and giggle crowd. Both lakes too you can be catching fish within a few hundred yards of the launch

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fish merwin and yale from a kayak very often. You should be worrying about the windo forecast more than the boaters. Especially before June those lakes are essentially free of the splash and giggle crowd. Both lakes too you can be catching fish within a few hundred yards of the launch
Very true. I have fished Merwin for years out of my boat, so I am familiar with the conditions there. Your advice is very good.
Eventually if I get into the kayak fishing game, I’ll be frequenting Merwin and Yale for sure.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Very true. I have fished Merwin for years out of my boat, so I am familiar with the conditions there. Your advice is very good.
Eventually if I get into the kayak fishing game, I’ll be frequenting Merwin and Yale for sure.

Yes, there's kokes in Waldo...nice ones, firm flesh and broad shoulders. I've seen huge schools of them cruising the shallows in the fall. Managed to get couple of keepers myself one summer, but then had all my gear stolen and was unable to try it again.

If you go though, bring mosquito repellant, lots of it, and the GOOD stuff.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Although motorized I'd put a spring trip to Lake Chelan on your list. Late April though mid June large numbers of kokanee can be found off of Lakeshore Park in very shallow water. You should be able to get a ten fish limit really quickly before the pleasure boaters show up.
Then you can go to Roses or Antilion or... for trout, crappie, bluegill, etc. Some of those lakes are motorized others aren't. But with the smaller size they attract little attention.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Although motorized I'd put a spring trip to Lake Chelan on your list. Late April though mid June large numbers of kokanee can be found off of Lakeshore Park in very shallow water. You should be able to get a ten fish limit really quickly before the pleasure boaters show up.
Then you can go to Roses or Antilion or... for trout, crappie, bluegill, etc. Some of those lakes are motorized others aren't. But with the smaller size they attract little attention.
I’ve looked at a trip to Lake Chelan. I would probably tow the boat over for that trip though. Also to Lake Roosevelt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts