IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advise on knots for 40-50 lb. mono. I have used palomar on lighter lines, but the above wts. don't seem to like this knot.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Try improved cinch or San Diego knot to swivels/plugs/spinners etc. and egg loop knot to single hooks or double/triple hook rigid tie mooching leaders. Moisten knots before you pull them tight. Any knot source book or web page should have good directions. Hope this helps.

Jean

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
improved clinch knot.....just make sure to wet the line before pulling it tight

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Improved clinch and lots of spit. It'll never break....unless your spit is really acidic :shocked:

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Trilene knot,found it on the knot page of a tide book,easy to tie,really strong. I think it said something like 97%,anyway haven't had a failure yet.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Palomar, it works on large line verry well and you have a small knot that Will Not Slip or brake. Just wet it before you tighten it. It is almost the only knot I have used for 3 years now and have never had one fail.
st

·
Registered
653 Posts
I agree with Sturg. Tom...the Palomar Knot is the best for holding the line strength. I have tested this myself on a machine and it is quick to tie and still works on 40-50 lb mono. Just make sure to wet it down.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The uni knot for everything... It works by tightening down on itself...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have used just your standard cinch knot for years, it works always, dont try any fancy knots, just twist, put it in th bottom twist, moisten and tighten, it works every time, I like about 5 or 6 twists, but three is enough.

·
Registered
131 Posts
dogrobber,
I'm with freespool on this one. I've been using the double trilene knot for years and it is fast and easy to tie.
God Bless

fearsnofish

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all,
I now have the tugging sensation that can ONLY be relieved by sitting in my Boulton @ Chan. marker 75-77 & waiting for one of those beautiful nooks to play games w/ me. I will try all of these knots, & thanks again. If you see me ( Second Chance) yell or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts