IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best knot for tying braided line to the spool of a level-wind reel. Can you also instruct me on how to tie it.

Thanks in advance :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Put a layer of masking tape down first then just use the regular slip knot. After you have it tied on put on another layer of tape so it covers the knot. When you spool it make sure you have LOTS of tention on the line. If it is not tight you will fight it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
best knot period by test is by using a very simple little tool that you can get for $6 at:

www.tie-master.com

I use braided line as my mainline on every rod, yes even my free drifting rods and have very minimal problems and thats with clients who aren't necessarily paying attention...

The tool will almost double the rated line strength at least in the lower pound ratings up to 20lb test. I havent' been able to test higher rated lines because Berkleys tester doesn't go that high.

Jim

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I use one wrap of double stick tape and no knot, Figure if a snag gets me there, I can live without the line ...but not the rod tip. (30 lb tuff line would take the tip for sure unless you have the foresight to point your rod directly at the snag)

Highly unlikely, but as the old philosophy goes..."If something can go wrong..it will"

No knot comes in handy when some goofball trolls into your prop too. :shocked: :grin:

[ 08-24-2003, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Row Vs. Wade ]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your ideas. I can't say I would ever spool up a reel with line...and nothing but tape to hold it on. I've been "down to the spool" before fighting fish. Kept 'em. I just don't what knot is best for tying the line to the spool on a levelwinder.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Bigspif, a lot of folks put some monofilament backing on first. Tie it on as you normally would tie mono to your spool. Put maybe 20-30 yards of it on, then tie a uniknot to uniknot to the braided line. Works great. I've been doing it that way for a while now and never had a problem. Make sure that both the mono and braided line go on very tightly though as that's where you'll run into problems if you don't. That's even more critical as you go down in diameter sizes of braided lines.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Jim,

Where can you buy the Tiemaster without ordering it from their web site? On the web site, even to read the instructions to see how it works, you have to give them your e-mail addess. I'm getting enough spam already.

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Start with 15 yards of monofilamint. Braids slip often enough to use a small amount of backing.

This is an great time to use Stren line.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Haven't seen the tool yet, but since I went to work for Sportsmans in the shop, I've learned a bunch- about alot of things.ha The electrical tape thing is a good idea, but I've had fold ask me to glue to the spool.? There are several knots that I could show you that continue to tighten with pull. Different design spindles on spools have pluses and minuses. Some spools have a pin to tie too, some have serrated lines to grab too, and alot are smooth. The right right knot, and backing if needed can really insure a quality spool. I've had folks request leaving "old mono" backing on to save some money on line. That's cool-but- If it's looks bad to me, I'll strip it/check it/clean it/ and replace the backing for free. You buy the line.
As a fisherman/IFISHER, I "WON'T" let a reel go out the door that isn't right. I've had that happen to me over the years. It's ruins a day.
If anybody has any questions, come see me. You don't have to buy anything. Braids really need to be put on by mochine though-- It has to be put on tight and straight.
Some of the stuff I've seen come in to the shop is- well- pretty sad.
Hollar if I can help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You only need about 5 feet of mono to keep the braid from sliping tie it like you would normaly the if you want to get fancy, go to any fly shop and get a nail (nipper)knot tool and follow the directions. it ties a barrel knot....DJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts