IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished the Klickitat River recently?
I'm going on Sat. and I am curious where to go?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Lower river is slow. Lots of big smolt(10''-16'') that will eat you out of eggs very fast. You may want to try upriver. There are some steelies along with the chinook.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fished up river on Sunday and Monday, only hooking one steelhead. The water is high and fast, which does not lend itself to spinner fishing.

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
I heard there was a recently completed rails-to-trails project there. Do any of you use mountain bikes to access the river via this trail?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I am heading to the Klick to fish it on Friday and Saturday. The river has dropped considerably from June 1. I think it was flowing around 2600-2700 then. It is now flowing just under 2000. Anyone fished there in the last couple of days, if so, how much visibility in the water? Appreciate your help.

Sambo

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Garyk..... you couldn't be more wrong. Email me and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction on the "proposed" rails to trails in the Klickitat Canyon.

Tim

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Tim, thanks.

We got the impression that all was go on the trail after an article on resolving a dispute with several landowners who claimed they owned the right of way and were trying to prevent the public from using the trail - or in this case the old railroad bed.

Oregonian Travel section had another article I believe, it sounded pretty good like the trails that parallel the lower Deschutes but in a nice Pondo Pine setting.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Several landowners are trying eo assert property rights over land that IS NOT THEIRS!!! Thats the thing holding up the rails to trails project. HMMM I wonder why they built homes along railroad tracks when a hiker or two and a few mountain bikers are so disturbing to them.... Surely the trains were much more disturbing..

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Rob, I believe these articles from several weeks ago, said something to the effect that the sheriff or USFS officers had removed the fences/gates/obstacles that the landowners has illegally erected - maybe that's not accurate?

G

·
We took a look at it on Sunday the 8. It was fast and colored, but the guy checking fish saidhe checked 10 guys and they all had one fish. He recomended we fish the first mile below the fisher bridge. He nuts!! You couldn't land a fish with steel cable on. Later we were told to go higher up the river by the caml grounds. We whent back to the Wind and took home 7 springer to 20#. I would *** a picture, but even with all the info I still haven't figured it out yet. Good luk :cheers:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Snakes are fine they taste like chicken :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:

·
Registered
147 Posts
off color when it 95 on adams you tend to get a bit of run off from up that way when it cools most of that clears up. snakes are present thats good it keeps everyone without a bell and stick out of the poison oak

:cool:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Diehard3,

Below the bridge is where all the Spring Chinook fishing goes on. In fact that is all that is open until June 1. You did not look hard enough, good water and easy to land fish with 20lb.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
The first thing I would ask is how are the SNAKES! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Garyk, Rob Allen....

The Klickitat Canyon has had several large floods over the last 30 years. Remember '96? What was originally "rail bed" is in some places, now Under Water!

Some of the owners of the properties along the river are just abit upset by claims that the proposed trail now runs through their property, since they've gone to the expense to have THEIR property surveyed, and the rail bed is indeed under water, and the property proposed for the trail is indeed, THEIRS, rightfully!

And frankly guys, if it was Your property, would you like people romping through it, leaving their trash, and feces from their dogs and horses? I think not......

Rails to Trails sounds great, and IS great in alot of places where monies are available to install and maintain a clean trail (with garbage service, and porta-potties at a minimum).

What we have here is a couple of folks in the town of Klickitat seeing dollar signs because they own the only mini-mart on the river.... along with a bunch of city dwellers (that would include you two) who think they know best about how other people's property here in Klickitat County should be managed..... The Gorge Commission, The Friends (Fiends) of the Gorge, other "NON-PROFIT" organizations, and their Portland law firms have managed to P.O. alot of folks in the gorge, including myself.....

Many of the property owners opposing the "trail" have owned and cared for their land for many generations. And many would sign off on "the trail" if the Washington State Dept. or Parks and Recreation had the money to adequately fund it's construction and maintenance. But since the State is currently closing existing parks for lack of funds, they clearly don't have the necessary funding! And if other NON-PROFITS can come up with the monies necessary, I think the Trail a possibility. But landowners will need to be compensated, or it just isn't going to happen.

Although I'm a former long-term city-dweller myself, and a newcomer to this county (only 7.5 years), I have strong feelings about this issue. And many folks in Eastern Wa. and Or. share similar concerns with property rights issues just like this one....

Sorry, but that's the way I feel about it! I welcome your replies.....

Tim

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
OH.... and Tilla.

The snakes are fine, and in good numbers this year. Rattlers are nice. They usually give you some warning. Just step aside, and they will too.

Tim :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts