IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading an article in the Columbian about how the Klickitat Hatchery could be transfered from state ownership to the Yakima Indian Nation as early as Oct 2004. The move is supposed to let the Yakima Nation be the lead agency to boost fish runs. It doesnt sound like there will be any money paid fof the hatchery.

The only problem i have with this is the harvest manager for the Yakima's said the tribe is little interested in marking salmon. Oh but they recognize that fin-clipping is "important" to the Dept of Fish and Wildlife. The marking issue will be negotiated.

The commision will be scheduling a public meeting about the proposed transfer in Glenwood and Goldendale. Ultimately the transfer must be approved by the commision, state attorney general, the Gov, and the Yakima Tribal Council. If anybody cares they should voice their opinion at one of these meetings when they get scheduled.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Just a little note here...it is now officially the Yakama Indian Nation. Sorry, they just get a little uptight about it.

Good for fish totals overall...bad considering I'll bet they end up NOT marking any of their fish. They've got the financial resources to run that hatchery without any direct federal funds.

TR

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Originally posted by TheRogue:
... bad considering I'll bet they end up NOT marking any of their fish. TR
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The state has stated that it is negotiating the issue of marking. They sure as heck better get that issue very clearly resolved before turning ownership over to the tribe!

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Not to bash the tribe but Thumper is right. There should be no negotiation over the marking of the hatchery fish. You either mark them or forget it. As far as running the hatchery I bet they do a fine job. Federal money? Be serious please. You can bet they will get a good share of seed money.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
I said DIRECT federal funds, as in money from BPA or other source directly tied to this hatchery. Remember the bill about any fish hatched with federal $$ will be marked? Darn near impossible to enforce.

As for negotiation of a contract for Yakama to take over the hatchery...well, sorry, but once they get ownership of it, not much anyone can do about it.

TR

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Most Indian Hatcherys fin clip very little but release more fingerlings than our federal hatcherys. Why would they want to clip there fingerlings then white man could keep them. if they don't clip them than white man has to release them to be netted by the Indians and kept. Then the sell the wild fish to the white man. It dosen't seam fair for the Indians to sell noncliped fish. Most of the noncliped fish returning through Boneville are from Indian hatcherys anyways. I'm not against Indian hatcherys for they release more smolt than our federal programs do. I just don't like the Indians selling noncliped fish. I think federal hatcherys should release 10 time the smolt they do now then we would have more fish to catch and would bost the economy. Rember in the 1800's there was 16 million + fish returning to the Columbia more than Alaskas return.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Oh greathere we have the ONLY good native run of summer steelhead in all of southwest Washington now let the tribes manage it pump it full of hatchery fish from God only knows where then not clip those fish.. I think the tribes need some bashing when it comes to salmon and steelhead managment. If there was ever a river that would be candidate to become a wild fish sanctuary the Klick is it!!! Stupid bleeping bleeps of bleeps...

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Right now, the Klickitat is the only river in Washington I go to for natives, which are big, strong and aggressive in the Klickitat. I surely hope they don't screw it up.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Since the Klickitat is near and dear to my heart, I'd love to comment on the Yakama's taking over the hatchery.

Unfortunately, I'm certain I'd break several Ifish rules......

:sick: :whazzup: :mad:
:hoboy:

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Tim The river is near and dear to the hearts of all who fish it regularly. Typically thoes who fish it and don't like it never fish it again.

I hope the tribe doesn't fill it with fish so that people who don't care about the river will go there just because it has fish in it. We already have 2 large rivers here in SW Washington managed for exactly that purpose.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Excuse me, but the Klickitat is not the same type of river as the Quinalt and it receives one heck of a lot more pressure.

BTW, how's the other Quinalt Res. river doing lately (the Queets)? Lousy!

The only other group I've heard of lately that supports not fin-clipping anadromous fish is the republican right-wing here in Oregon. Seems if you can't I.D. a native, then you can't tell if the numbers are dropping and therefore you don't have to worry about ESA restrictions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts