IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if it is legal to fish via kite on the Oregon Coast?
I was kinda thinking it would be interesting to use a kite to put my bait out further into the surf than I could ever imagine casting it out to.

Of course getting it to work right would be part of the fun, and seeing what a guy would catch would be more of the fun.

Or how about slingshot the sinker out there? :shrug:

·
"The Old Salt"
10,945 Posts
Anyone know if it is legal to fish via kite on the Oregon Coast?
I was kinda thinking it would be interesting to use a kite to put my bait out further into the surf than I could ever imagine casting it out to.

Of course getting it to work right would be part of the fun, and seeing what a guy would catch would be more of the fun.

Or how about slingshot the sinker out there? :shrug:

The biggest problem I can think of is that you would need an east wind in order to get the kite out over the water and we rarely get an east wind at the beach

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Well, I guess if you play your cards right and DO get that east wind, at least you'll have a nice warm day over there :shrug:

I'd be anxious to hear how it works out

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You could try it from the tip of one of the jetties.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
In Washington I'm pretty sure it would be illegal. The regs say something of hand casted with rod ect...

Oregon it might be ok.

Are you thinking a downrigger clip, fly the kite out, jerk the rod to free the bait from the clip. Type of setup or something else?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies folks. It was just an idea that I was thinking of attempting. Now that I realized which coast I live on, and which way the wind blows, I too think the kite thing may not be as effective as the weight launcher.

If I experiment, I'll be sure to report back. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
If you wanted to have fun you could run a Aftco kite with a dedicated kite rod. Put a rollerball downrigger release clip(Rupp nokouts) below the kite, and deploy both your bait and kite out at the same time, because we have a rollerball release we can make adjustments as to how deep we want to fish the bait. Cant do this with a rubberband connection. We had done that a few times when we didnt have a extra release clip onboard, we were fishing a helium balloon and whenever we had a fish on the balloon would descend 150' high down to the waterline and then the rubberband connection would snap. New meaning to BOBR down from the sky!
If our tuna fishing were harder up here, i could see one using a kite to troll a tunabite into some jumpers.
But our tuna are already pretty easy to catch up here. Kite fishing is more for the larger,harder more elusive to catch species.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I would think that would be hell of lot of fun.

Hand casting a rod weather with the aid of kite or not, is still hand casting. Look the intent of the law...fishing with castable rod/reel vs. mechanized or commercial type fishing.

A kite gives no un-fair advantage against fish any more than fishing same water from a boat or kayak. Kite would be legal in washington as well as Oregon

See below link for some additional ideas on Surf Kite fishing:

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/htmfiles/kite.htm

Google Kite fishing for link to supplies from Aftco (boat kites and rigging supplies).

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If you really want to "get out there" I'd look into getting an Alvey side cast reel. They're made in Australia and I believe an Alvey holds the world casting record, - something like 600+ feet! They also work pretty well as a trolling reel.

Not sure getting further out is the answer though. I've caught most of my perch pretty close to the beach.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
......Not sure getting further out is the answer though. I've caught most of my perch pretty close to the beach.
I realize the Perch are closer to shore and probably won't need any extra distance from what I am already throwing. I'm just curious as to what I would catch a bit further off shore beyond my current casting ability.

:shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts