IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading and seeing the massive tide swings for the Oregon coast this weekend. Some tides will swing almost 10 feet! I know that large tide swings during full moon days can equate to sucky crabbing. I'm assuming the same will be the case for king tides as well?

·
Vendor
6,459 Posts
In the CR estuary the big tides mean lots of current on ebb or flood. Crab seem to hunker down during max ebb or flood and pots don't fish as well in those heavy currents. Plan to fish around slack tides and you should find easy limits.

Big high tides this weekend should push lots of saltwater in the bays, scouring out fresh water from any rain. Focus on high slack, should be lots of crab.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Yeah, last time we crabbed on a big tide series will be the last. The slack periods should still be good, except the sharper swings mean the optimal time windows will be shorter and then once it turns it really turns fast. Besides poor results catching, the stronger currents push a lot more weeds around to deal w/ all over your gear. I guess if you're real close to the ramp (or moored) and go often enough not to really bother cleaning your gear much (and/or store it outside) then a quick outing is no big deal, but for us to invest a weekend and then stowing our gear back inside the garage it's only worth targeting flatter tide series.

·
Registered
14,852 Posts
@Stick'em I was checking out NOAA. Those big shifts are there. Also the news outlets had stories on this weekends King tides.

Most likely, I'm going to bag my outing until another time. Another more optimal time.
I received a NOAA notice a week or two ago about king tides 22-24 Nov but they are not reflected on any tide schedule I visit.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Yeah I'm not seeing it on the tide charts I typically refer to, either. The press release must be in error, maybe somebody typo'd a 12 into an 11 for the date and then it wasn't caught and snowballed from there or something like that...? Would be real easy once the initial info got picked up for lots of people w/o any knowledge of such things to relay the info across more & more outlets, not having any idea there's a mistake in it.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I received a NOAA notice a week or two ago about king tides 22-24 Nov but they are not reflected on any tide schedule I visit.
Here is Thursdays tide table for Tillamook Bay. Afternoon tide goes from a high of 9.7’ down to a -1.7 at 6:36 pm.
That’s a lot of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cooked limits for guys today, and they all talked abiut sorting for best keepers.

Crabbing is stupid good in the CR estuary. Don't over think it.
Not over thinking, just being holiday budget conscious. As much as I'd love to go there and crab, the diesel bill and 3.5 hour drive is what's stopping me. 🤣

·
Vendor
9,552 Posts
King Tides are not generally marked as such on tide charts. King Tides are just the days when the tide happens to be among the highest of the year. City Governments at coastal towns, and scientists, are very interested in flooding caused by these tides, because they are a hint of what will be the new normal as sea levels rise.

I announced this year's King Tides in my last newsletter. It also mentions a way for citizens to get involved in taking pictures and submitting them to the database. Here's a link to the newsletter.

I announce the King Tides in advance every year in the newsletter, so if you want to sign up, here's the link. Contact us for fishing classes and coaching — Ocean Coach

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Check out this tide table.... 9.8' swing on the 24th at Nehalem.... Not what i call optimum crabbing tides the 22nd-24th.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts