IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was by the hatchery this morin an they were killin an sendin salmon to the rendering service for cat food or?? what ever....they were all hatchery fish that i seen. I guess they trap them so they wont go above N.fork!, Also they Now Block ALL summer steelhead from goin above N.fork!because they say summer steelhead were not indigenous to the upper clackamas! :shrug: ..they said we will never beable to fish that upper river again....Our license fees hard @ work!! :mad:

·
Registered
147 Posts
grant
the guys I know that work at the usfw hatcherys work 5 days a week and rotate workdays the fishes seem to want to eat everyday

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
wetonwhite, I totally understand about the baby fish. What you don't understand is that the eggs out of those fish that they killed today should have come to me but I never got a call. I am just doing some snooping to see where my salmon eggs went.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The eggs go up for bid every year. Both this year and last Amerman won the bid. I believe the eggs sold for 3.85 or 4.85 a pound. I forget how many pounds were sold last year. If my memory serves me correctly I think I calculated it out to be somewhere around 90,000 thousand dollars worth. As I understand you can't just buy a few pounds or so. You have to give a price (bid) per pound and be ready to buy every pound they have.

I learned this info when I stopped by the hatchery one day after fishing and spoke to a few of the guys. They were very friendly and shared alot of good info.

SPACE

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Yup! You are dead on Space Fish9(Except the 90k part). I will rephrase. Those are Scott and my eggs that went to the rendering plant if what Floatin Mule says is true. I will find out tomorrow when I pick up eggs. Grant

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Hey Grant,

They tried and tried to get ahold of you. I told them to call you at the North River Factory where they are holding your boat until the seat restraints are installed.

I went up there with UG's commercial fish box and picked up 286 lbs of eggs this afternoon. I convinced them that it would be ok with you.

These eggs will be available starting tomorrow morning for $5.00 per lb. They can be picked up from our "egg curing facility" in Sherwood OR.

How much would "you and Scott" like to buy?

BTW, we "high graded" about 115 lbs of the larger sized eggs for "personal use".

Hope you don't mind :laugh:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Cool, $5/lb. That's cheaper than the hatchery usually charges us. We will take them all.

Commercial fish box?... I can get 286lbs in two 100qt colemans. Or are you needing to ride with these eggs? :rolleyes: :laugh:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Actually that's all old news, it's been at least a couple years since they stopped the summer run above the dam. They still plant as many summers, they just plant them in the lower river.

Also, they have always done this with the extra springers, they also sell the food quality fish. You see, they only need about 300 pairs of fish to release the 1.5 million smolts they release every year. This is done at just about all hatcheries in the state.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
OOPS!! I guess I was standing on the scale, not the eggs. :blush:

·
Registered
333 Posts
For those of you who do not mind a drive up the Gorge I used to go to Celilo village up near Celilo falls in Sept. I'd catch the Natives right off the water in the morning and score a class B egg for 2.50 a pound. Some would have some blood on 'em while other skeins did not.

I would take my egg curing kit along and do my eggs up the road at the truck stop/chevron on the hill.

It sure beats paying unthinkable prices for a quart of eggs already cured waiting for you at the convenient (outdoor) store.

Perfect oppourtunity to play with cures/scents :wink:

When in doubt, set the hook!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Shannon O'Brien:

It sure beats paying unthinkable prices for a quart of eggs already cured waiting for you at the convenient (outdoor) store.

Perfect oppourtunity to play with cures/scents :wink:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Plus you can support a fishery that kills wild salmon! Thanks so much!
:tongue:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Did we get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning LS? So now the bad guys are the ones who purchase these salmon and eggs.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
If you want to use an egg that could have concievably been dead for several days and be half rotten be my guest. I would not call that a "B" class egg. That would get a "D" from me.

Just because it looks good and smells ok doesn't mean that that it isn't stinky to the fish. Trust me, I have learned the hard way.

If you want to constistantly catch fish you should always use an "A" class egg.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
LS, If you really knew how some of the "legitimate" bait dealers got some of their eggs. (Ocean caught, my ---), you would not be so quick to critique.

Suffice it to say there are some who would actually rip hens out of tidewater, pull the skeins and , heaven forbid, sell the eggs as ocean caught to bait dealers who do not ask questions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts