·
Registered
11,223 Posts
:shrug:
:shrug:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I must have missed something cause I havent seen any pics of "soft belly nearly egg spitting hens" lately. :shrug:

People have every right to choose what fish they want to keep. If you dont like it take it up with ODFW. I have no problem with people keeping hens for the eggs. I just HOPE they arent taking them from any of the "native only" smaller runs of fish on the smaller rivers. I know I would feel kinda guilty if I did it on some of the smaller runs but thats just IMHO.

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
ssteelheadsteve,
Okayyyyy...Whats this thread all about?
Have yet to see pics of that nature on ifish!! :shrug: Care to elaborate a little more on your post?

edited for spelling.

[ 11-02-2003, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Administrator
119,648 Posts
See where it says the amount of posting done on this board, under people's name?

Click on that, and you'll see what certain people "contribute" to ifish.

Maybe that will explain it.

Jen

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Classic example of "seagull management". Fly in once in while, poop all over the place and leave a mess behind. :whazzup: why bother? We can't all be perfect :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
And this is coming from a guide? :shrug:

A guide I saw a week and a half ago with clients bobbering for boots from his driftboat on a certin coastal river say at about milepost 7? You sure were not fishing the fast water where the fresh fish were - I only saw you bobberfishing the slow holes where only dark fish seemed to be rolling. Maybe I missed something.

What happened to those hens Steve?

UG

[ 11-02-2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Uglygreen ]

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
People who live in glass houses should never throw rocks. Mind your own business! So many people in our small world today are more worried about what others are **** rather than about what they are doing. Some of us choose to fly fish and others choose to bait fish.

To each his own.

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
Now kids, let's all play nice OK?

I did a quick scan through the recent posts and didn't really find the posts in question so I might be a little off topic with this reply.

I can see the point behind his post though. This year I kept two fish that were not worthy of being table fare. I smoked both of them and sent them to my Dad in Texas (he doesn't know what smoked salmon is supposed to look like so they thought it was good eating). These were both hatchery steelies from the Clack. The first was a buck that spilt milt all over the bottom of the drifter (and no, I didn't cry over it). The second was a hen that streamed eggs all over the place when I lifted her from the water. Did I mention that both of these fish were hatchery clipped? It really makes a person wonder about the real stray rates of hatchery fish.

What's the answer here? I won't keep a fish like that ever again. If it isn't fit to eat it goes back. On the other hand, we don't really want them spawning in the rivers and polluting the gene pool either, do we? (let's not start that discussion again, please). If everyone in the world were honest, I could see bonking, bleeding and tossing the fish back in for the nutrient value, but in today's world that just makes the gamies jobs that much harder. If we're talking steelies, a hen can return to salt water to fatten up a year or two and make another run. I could be killing a possible trophy hatchery hen (or are those two terms mutually exclusive?).

So from now on, I will simply shake my head and slide the fish back into the water. Maybe I just won't be so thorough in reviving them and hope that nature takes its course.

G

·
I retained a "bronzed" hen that was pictured on this board about a week ago. I thought it was a buck or I would have never bonked it!My mistake
Yeah it had great eggs but the flesh was not very good so I smoked it and it turned out to be edible.It didn't go to waste :smile:
First time I've made this mistake and hopefully the last.My fishing partner killed a chrome hen that would have rivaled any Willamette or Columbia spring chinook with it's red meat
so I compared it's head and jawline to the fish I caught and thought I made the right call.
I guess the lesson in all this is if in doubt and good table fare is what you are after then go ahead and release it.Man those were sure nice eggs though!

[ 11-02-2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
Some years ago, I kept what appeared to me to be a decent fish. I might also mention that it was a spawned out hatchery fish. I bonked it and left it in the water to bleed out. As folks came by, each one of them made some disparaging remark to the effect that they would never have kept such a fish. As I was getting ready to leave, an older gentleman asked if he could make a cut into the fish near the tail to observe the flesh. We did this and it was white. I took it home anyway with the intention of at least practicing my filet technique but by the time I got home the smell was so bad I just shoved it head first into the trash can. It took weeks to get that smell out.

Anyway, the older gentleman told me that he and his buddy would do this with any fish that they suspected might not be table worthy, and if it didn't pass muster they would release it. I'm curious as to everyone's feelings on this practice. It doesn't take a big cut to do this and it won't kill the fish. If it's already turned, chances are good that no one would want to keep it, so no harm done. And if it's good, it won't ruin the filets. It does seem somehow wrong to do this though.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I don't know about you but its all about the darkies. Quality is chrome black.

One thing nice about spawn sacks is that they hold color cast after cast!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Originally posted by KingFisher85:
I don't know about you but its all about the darkies. Quality is chrome black.

One thing nice about spawn sacks is that they hold color cast after cast!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">LMAO........ :cheers:

G

·
Originally posted by Fishin Magician:
Give me a break......... Go to the fly fishing board if you cant stomach what you see...........
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:laugh: That's hilarious John! Yeah go over to the fly board and see all the fish we don't catch :shocked: Not many pictures over there :shrug: Hey John you promised me some egg cure :depressed:

[ 11-02-2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I am totally lost here...
I've even followed Jennie's directions.
Help.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts