IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Every time I went up their last year we caught a ton of them I used the ford fenders wedding rings with worms and white corn with about1-2OZ of lead and I would try and get my gear down to the depth I was marking the fish at I caught them any were from 10ft to 80 ft of water the later in the year the deeper they go

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Try trolling the floating scum line using something like a #12 brown wooly bugger or a wooly worm. We used to get quick limits this way.

D.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm working on getting my 6 and 8-year-old kids hooked on fishing. We've caught kokanee and shad last year and now they want to try trout. We live close to North Fork Reservoir and thought it would be a good choice. Does anyone have any general tips for fishing this water from a boat? I'll try and post some pics after the big outing.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Northfork is good all over early in the year, but as the weather gets nice, the pleasure boaters and waverunners make it hard to fish the main body of the lake. You can catch them all along the shoreline, up the neck at the head of the lake, and the far end by the log booms. The farthest end was the best for me last year. Just launch and head down to the log boom a the other end. We caught a bunch using powerbait 6-10 foot under a bobber last year.

·
Registered
353 Posts
log boom+worm no weight=limits. :grin: :grin: :grin: The worm no weight works well in most lakes. A killer on high lakes with clear water. Harriet comes to mind. Good luck :cheers:

[ 05-22-2003, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: metalhead madness ]

·
Registered
280 Posts
That is a great lake for trout. I have always done well there in a boat. I like to use Rooster Tails, pink and green with dots, ones that look like trout and just troll with them. I have rarely caught anything from the shore. The one time that I did well I was on the log boom, limited in less than 45 minutes. The next day went up there again and got skunked, but they were just about jumping into the boats just beyond our casting distance.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I've had the most success in the narrow part (where there's a speed limit - above the marina) - trolling or drop anchor where the current runs in and drift bait. Crawdad trap works up there.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the great information. My kids and I really appreciate it.
Ken

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Kroy: Have you taken the kids to "Small Fry" lake right at the Park? You can't fish, but the kids under 12 can. I don't know if they still stock the lake, you can ask at Prometory Park. I used to take mine there all the time...limits everytime. :dance: :dance: fishrite

1 - 10 of 10 Posts