IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to replace my old kicker mount bracket on a 23' Trophy next week. What is your opinion as to brand and type of bracket. I really dont want to work real hard raising a 9.9 Mercury this summer. Advise is welcome. Thanks.

Bernie

·
Registered
480 Posts
Bernie - I think I have one of the heavy duty spring assisted models made by Garelick sitting in my garage. It is heavy enough to handle the weight of a 4 stroke and raises lowers easily. It is yours for a small donation to Jennie.

You probably ask why it is not on my boat? If my boat stayed moored in the Willy all the time it would still be on the boat. But since I travel to eastern oregon, the coast, lower willamette valley etc it allowed too much bounce when trailering so I switched to a hard mount.

Give me a call if interested 503-358-4446

John

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
From someone who has had one of these units fail while trailering, my advise is to get the heaviest built you can find. The one I had was rated beyond the weight that I had on it and was the biggest pain to raise on the water. I hated that thing every time I used it. Luckily, the safety chain that I had added kept the motor from departing the stern and trolling through some commuter's windshield.

If you can afford it, the hydraulic option is much better. They are a lot stronger and completely eliminate the strain and pain.

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gerlick does make a solid mount that you can just hang the motor from to reduce stress during travel. Most likely that would be what I would put on in addition to what John has offered.

BTW, John you have mail.

I did look at some hydrolic mounts around the $400 range. Very nice indeed. Right now an economical solution would be nice.

Any other suggestions? Brands? How about a great place to buy at a cheaper price?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
you can make a fixed bracket out of the broken bracket that you have, below is a poor excuse for a drawing of what i did, it involves taking your old bracket off and tearing it apart and mounting the 4 angles back on facing out instead of in and having 2 peices of 1/4" aluminum cut and making 2 braces.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I second Crabbait. I never had my bracket fail but as i was driving down the road i was always paranoid it was going to fall off. Garelick covers their hiney buy telling you to take off the motor while trailering. Now on my new boat i have a solid bracket, but that probably wont work on your boat Bernie. I hope you can find one suitable.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Bernie old boy, a man of your means and I mean mean streaks, the best thing next to sliced bread is a motor with an electric lift. Dr Strangelove had one on his before he was rearended the day of the Springer Flotilla and it works great. All you do is push a button and it goes up and down without touching it.

If it is to late for an motor with the elevtric lift, go with the hydrolic assist as they are pretty good. I had one on my superVee and it was Great.

*fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice and expertise. :bowdown: Muchly appreciated. I took Gr8waves up on his offer last night. Fits well, raised the kicker just fine. I am sending Jennie a check as you requested John. Thanks again and it was great to meet another quality i-fisher. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
GR8, thanks for helping contribute to make ifish what it is. That is a very nice thing to do.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Now that was like a win-win-win situation - cool.

I recently added an adjustable kicker bracket and more recently got up the nerve to leave the motor on while trailering - so I'd like to hear any more details from those who have had troubles.

What came apart from where?

(It's gotta be a good story ... )

[ 06-18-2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: lost_sailor ]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
C&E- The OMC bracket was THE bracket to have forever. Don't know what happened after they went TU. I had one on my Bayliner with my 9.9 for 8 years. No problem. The guy that bought it just hung a Yammerhammer 15 hp on it. Bracket outlives the motor.
Just don't knwo if you can get em any more? :whazzup:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Lost Sailor - I never had a problem while trailering with the Garelick bracket. I just didn't like looking in the side mirror and seeing the kicker bounce when I went over a bump so I went to a hard mount. I tend to drag the trailer on unimproved roads getting to certain areas and sometimes they are a little rough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts