IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a new kicker for a 21ft. North River...I will be in the Willamette, Columbia, Santiam, high lakes, bays and a trip or two over the bar...I am considering the yamaha 8hp or 15 hp Honda. Any fedback would be appreciated.....

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I have had both and I think the Honda is hard to beat. 4 stroke, bullet proof motors.

RF

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I bought the Yamaha 4 stroke 8 horse hi thrust for my 18 footer. It has more than enough power to push me againt the current in the Columbia. I my get 5 to 8 mph. I went with the Yamaha because of the shift control lever located on the tiller handle. Much easier to reach than all the other.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I would go with the honda and purchase it from Sportcraft marina you will get great customers service after the sale........Chris

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
If you can afford a little more, the high thrust electric start/tilt Yamaha is a great choice. Especially if it is to be mounted on a swim step.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sixpack,

I'd second Crabbait's recommendtion on the 8HP Yamaha "Big Foot" and with the electric start and power tilt.

I have it on my 22' Boulton and it's a heavy boat (5400 lbs) with a big canvas top (lots of wind resistance) and it can handle it even in a blow.

It's the perfect trolling motor.

You'll probably have a hard time finding one because they are so popular as trollers.

Brion

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Crabbait is right. Make sure you get the electric start and electric tilt. I have a Yamaha 9.9 on my 19' North River mounted on my swim deck. Manual start, manual tilt, and the shifter is on the side of the motor. The motor is fine, just a pain to shift and tilt.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I LOVE my Honda 8HP 4 stroke kicker. It has never failed me and it pushes my 22' C-Dory Angler hard top cuddy cabin boat just over 7 mph and trolls below 1 mph. I call it my little Honda Hero cause it has bought me back to the dock 3 times.
Smooth and quiet. I'll second the comment about Sportcraft, great service.

[ 04-10-2003, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Fisherman ]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
yamaha hi thrust 8hp 4 stroke power start and tilt
they say it has the push of a 25hp. it will push our 20' glass boat just as fast or faster than our 25hp yamaha. and also troll slower just my $0.02 Quick Fisher :cheers:

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I just bought a 10 h.p. Honda from Sportcraft on Friday. They were the most helpful and had the best price. I have only had the motor out once, it did fine, but I can't report on whether it is better than the Yamaha. I'll let you know about reliability in 20 years or so. :smile:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I've got the 15 horse honda elec. start - best kicker I've ever owned. My buddy has the Yamaha and it's excellent too, but he's had a few more problems than me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got the Honda 9.9 from Sportcraft Marina.
The salesman suggested to buy the standard 9.9
its about $150.00 less than the high thrust model. Then buy the high thrust prop seperate for about $80.00, the only differance between the two is the sticker on the motor cover and the prop.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:smile: Thanks for all the help and feedback....It sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either a 9.9 or 15.... I think I will keep my eyes open and see if I can find a good deal...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I work with honda outboards all day lone. i would go with the honda over the yamadog any day! but, that is just my 2cents

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
ya but is the standard 9.9 a gear reduction the yamaha hi thrust is a gear reduction motor like 3:1 and the standard yamaha is not maybe the 9.9s are the same :shrug:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I know you said you were considering the Yamaha or Honda. Both are, no doubt, great motors.....

But, like Keta said, they're All great motors these days.

Go Black, you won't go back! My 9.9 Merc Big Foot longshaft 4-stroke is one helluva a motor!

I had to pull it Twice today. I was very disappointed..... :grin:

Just my opinion.... Tim

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Go with the larger motor. An 8 probably won't get you back home as a backup against any sort of tide/current. A 15 might not either but the odds are twice as good. Trolling you should uyse the same fuel. Takes the same HP and fuel to move the boat at a given speed regardless of the peak power. :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
My 9.9 Honda high out put spent 3 days under water and it runs just fine. :grin: Talk about a good engine. How many others could go down a rapid and stay under water and still perform?
st

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I ran my new Yamaha 8hp 4-stroke for the first time today for about 4 hours. It fired up first pull and ran great. Now if I could only catch a fish :whazzup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts