IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a new boat and want the offshore bracket and noticed that the kicker bracket is on the port side on all the boats I've looked at. Is there a good reason for this or is this just the way they do it. My only thought would be that if you are back there running the motor, you could see the depth finder better, but I doubt that's why. Just curious!

·
Banned
98 Posts
I think it is as simple as that. I prefer the right side because it allows me to hold my rod in my right hand and run the motor with my left while watching what is happening with the other rods in the boat.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I believe that is a standard mounting position as far as cavatation from your props affecting sonar readings ... Your electronics are usually on the starboard side because of this ... Unless your prop rotates counterclockwise then your electronics should be on the port side of the transom...:twocents::wave:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My 19' Alumaweld window boat doesn't have the OS bracket, but I was given the option of which side I wanted the kicker when I bought the boat new 5 years ago.

I chose the port side to offset my 225 pounds while I'm at the helm and fishing alone, since I steer from the helm on the starboard side.

I've never regretted that choice... just my :twocents:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Had the option of port or starboard when I ordered my Custom Weld. inbord jet. Selected the Port side to offset the weight of 100 # trolling motor. Steering on the Starboard and Kicker to Port.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I prefer mine on the starboard side. Just easier when I'm steering by hand, since the tiller on the T-8 is on its port side. When using the TR-1 of course it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I prefer mine on the starboard side. Just easier when I'm steering by hand, since the tiller on the T-8 is on its port side. When using the TR-1 of course it doesn't matter.
Steer mine from the front of the boat so can be out of rain under the top of the boat. With special electric hydralic system, works real good.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My kicker is starboard. Battery is port, as are my electronics. I can run the kicker with my left hand, fish with my right and the electronics are in front of me. For some reason, I'm usually fishing the port side of the boat when side drifting 75% of the time, anyway, on the river I fish.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I always had the kicker on the port side until I got my most recent boat. My thoughts were to counter balance my weight while driving to keep the boat as level into the waves as possible.

On my new boat the kicker was on starboard so I was curious if I would notice more of a list. It turns out the torque of the main keeps the boat right on an even keel.

I think it is mostly personal preference and what you were brought up on.

Merch

·
Registered
466 Posts
My T8 is mounted on the starboard side of my TJ. I mounted it there so I could steer with my left while fishing with my right. However, my battery is also on the starboard side so my boat does list to the right. I need to move the battery to the port side to offset that weight. I have not noticed any interferance with the electronics though.

·
Registered
14,157 Posts
I've been looking for a new boat and want the offshore bracket and noticed that the kicker bracket is on the port side on all the boats I've looked at. Is there a good reason for this or is this just the way they do it?
They setup boats as per avg fisherman concensus. No other reason than that. You can put the kicker on whichever side you want. I run both mine on port side, being right handed that's whats comfortable to me. Other's prefer theirs starboard.
Personal choice.

Duckworth bolts their brackets on and you can put it on either side.
Hunt'nFish

1 - 12 of 12 Posts